Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

My children are always sick

(6 Posts)
gonerogue Wed 12-Mar-14 17:08:44

Hi

I am a WOHM with 2 children in childcare. I recently got a new job and they are in the crèche for most of the day - from 8 - 5:30. (I am going to try and reduce my working hours but at the moment I can't as only in the job 6 months, and I need to work to pay our mortgage) They sleep from 7:30 until about 6:30 and DS has a nap for about 2 hours in the day as well.

DD is 3.5 and DS is just gone 2. Up until the past couple of months they were both fairly healthy, just the normal colds, viruses every now and then.

My daughter recently started being sick randomly. She had tonsillitis in October and the coughing used to make her sick. Then for a while she would randomly get sick for no reason. She has had bouts of tonsillitis - 3 since October - and the sickness is a bit random as well.

She also had very bad constipation in the last week, but we treated that with suppositories and that cleared up for her.

DS was fine - he had an ear infection but he has a bad cold and gotten very sick this afternoon?

I have a referral to a paediatrician next Thursday but am at a loss. I've been to the GP several times in a bid to get an answer and they just give ABs for the tonsillitis/ear infection and calpol/neurofen for the cold.

I think DD could have a food allergy - can you develop them or are you born with them?

I'm not looking for a diagnosis, just an idea that someone else may have had similar issues and coping strategies - would you give a multivitamin?

Thanks

(I am heading home from work now but will pick up any replies tonight - thanks)

minipie Thu 13-Mar-14 09:59:08

So if you've only been in the job 6 months, does that mean they have been at home with you till now and only quite recently started in childcare? If so then that's the explanation - it's pretty normal for kids to get ill a lot when they first start being around other kids all day as they all share the germs around, especially in winter. It should be better in spring/summer and hopefully next winter should be better as they've been exposed to most bugs by then. Multivit is a good idea but it may not stop the bugs...

If your DD carries on getting tonsillitis it would be worth speaking to a dr about whether getting them removed would be a good idea. She may have a particular susceptibility (some people do).

minipie Thu 13-Mar-14 10:00:32

By the way my 16 month old DD has been constantly ill this autumn and winter - endless colds, coughs, hand foot and mouth, a mystery virus, bout of constipation... the list goes on! She's started to go to a lot of playgroups and I think that is why.

gonerogue Thu 13-Mar-14 16:45:52

HI, sorry for coming back so late and thanks for the reply - they haven't been out of crèche - I was working full time just changed jobs. I did have flexitime in the last job so they weren't in crèche for as long then.

I am going to see the paediatrician next Thursday and going to ask if they can be removed - no need for them and as she gets sick with them all of the time definitely no need for them.

I'm hoping it's just a run of bad luck with the weather being so mild this winter and that it'll get better now the nicer weather has started to pick up.

Next option is to take them out of crèche (but they love it there ) and get a nanny or childminder - but to get one that they like and that will do the hours we are looking for is the next problem..

minipie Thu 13-Mar-14 16:50:58

Mmm, we have a nanny and DD is still sick all the time... This winter has been particularly bad I gather.

GoingToBedfordshire Thu 13-Mar-14 16:53:28

I was sahm when mine were that age and they got ill loads. The eldest was at preschool 15 hrs a week and I took the youngest to a toddler group two or three times a week. Both were susceptible to tonsillitis (they have both had it about 8 times) and we had a number of d&v illnesses around that age. Now aged 5 and 7 they are hardly ever ill. I do think it is a horrible period a lot of families go through, probably intensified by being around other kids as previous posters have said. Worth having a chat about having the tonsils out however, it may be an option.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now