Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

5 year old with hyper acute hearing , problems in school , please help

(4 Posts)
Alfiedoggy Wed 12-Mar-14 13:19:10

I would be really grateful if anyone has any advice or experience they can offer me . My ds has been diagnosed with hyper acute hearing , his hearing is very sensitive and far beyond what it should be . He is having problems in school - they are a lovely school and I'm very happy with it , but he us struggling to listen on carpet time when they explain the majority of his lessons . He says the teachers talk too loud and it hurts his ears so I think he switched off . I'm waiting for a paediatrician to write to us for help but I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience or advice ? I don't seem to be able to find much on the Internet at all sad( thank you !! smile xxx

beautifulgirls Wed 12-Mar-14 19:00:35

It is possibly worth posting this on the special needs children boards for more traffic of parents with experience. One possibility may be a sensory processing disorder. My daughter finds certain noises overwhelming - things like the hoover, hot air hand driers, crowd noises etc. We learn to adapt (hand over ears in public loos, warning before hovering etc) though I think in the scheme of things her sensory issues are milder than many I have seen posting on MN. Are school aware? What about some sort of ear defenders to dampen the sounds down a bit if school are willing and he is still able to hear enough to follow the lesson?

Alfiedoggy Thu 13-Mar-14 09:46:30

Thank u !! That's a good idea ill repost it xx

adoptmama Thu 13-Mar-14 18:44:20

Try Peltor Kids ear defenders in school - they work well, helps filter out noises/subdue it to a better level so he can concentrate. you can buy them on amazon. very cheap

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now