Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Peeling skin on 1yo fingers

(9 Posts)
MrsCaptainJackSparrow Wed 12-Mar-14 09:57:51

Hi, I've noticed over the last couple of days my 1yo has big chunks of skin peeling off around his finger tops and toes. Any ideas?
TIA

LakeFlyPie Wed 12-Mar-14 10:04:41

Can't link on phone but I read about recent rise in scarlet fever cases (think it was on BBC website) and this was one of the symptoms, may be worth a google

Deb2202 Wed 12-Mar-14 18:44:59

Sounds like my fingers/toes after I had hand foot and mouth.

Nothing in my mouth and not real 'blisters' on hand/feet, they were red but not noticeable (apart from the burning/pain) then a couple of days later they just started peeling! All over my fingertips it looked terrible.

Kittymalinky Wed 12-Mar-14 18:46:45

My 17mo has this. I thought she was just a bit dehydrated or that she's been chewing her fingers too much while teething.

beautifulgirls Wed 12-Mar-14 18:56:20

DD had this after a serious strep infection (strep causes lots of issues including scarlet fever). It was like big bits of greaseproof paper coming off!!

MrsCaptainJackSparrow Wed 12-Mar-14 19:14:50

Thank you all for the replies. Will google Scarlett fever now. He had hand foot and mouth a week ago (no blisters in mouth just spots around his mouth, hands and toes).

He doesn't drink enough some days do could be dehydration

HomeIsWhereTheHeartIs Wed 12-Mar-14 19:19:36

My 9mo got over hand foot and mouth about 2 weeks ago, and now his toes are peeling just as you describe. Took him to the doctor and was told (in a rather patronising way) that it was nothing to worry about.
It's happening to my dad too, who also caught the hand foot and mouth.

Deb2202 Wed 12-Mar-14 21:05:18

If he's had HFM a week ago I reckon it will be the after effects of that, like I say I was very surprised when it started and the peeling seemed worse and more widespread than the spots. It also lasted a while.

If he's fine in himself and this is the only issue I'd give him a couple of days to see how it pans out.

It wasn't painful at all once it was peeling so they shouldn't be uncomfortable with it.

Roseformeplease Wed 12-Mar-14 21:07:11

My DD had something similar (but weepy) which turned out to be impetigo which normally starts around the mouth but started on her hands because she had a cut which had allowed the infection in.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now