Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

8 year old has ear infection - Calpol not working.

(11 Posts)
Newpencilcase Wed 12-Mar-14 00:30:29

I'm all out of children's nurofen so I can't double up.

All I have is 400mg tablets which won't do shock

He's had 7.5 ml of Calpol 6+ but still crying in pain.

DH is away.

Any suggestions?

noblegiraffe Wed 12-Mar-14 00:40:18

Warm flannel on his ear?

Ilovemydogandmydoglovesme Wed 12-Mar-14 00:40:31

No, sorry, but sad

Have you tried ringing nhs direct?

Newpencilcase Wed 12-Mar-14 00:42:33

I thought about warm flannel but seem to remember that's now not advised. I'll google!

noblegiraffe Wed 12-Mar-14 00:47:13

NHS says flannel is ok!

www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Earache/Pages/Introduction.aspx

Newpencilcase Wed 12-Mar-14 00:51:18

Thank you!

I'll give it a go. wink

BeaWheesht Wed 12-Mar-14 09:20:55

Is he on antibiotics?

Flibbertyjibbet Wed 12-Mar-14 09:29:10

Take him to the doctor.

I have had ear infections and my left eardrum has burst three times as a result of them.

DS2 also had one at 20 months old, couldn't tell me what the matter was so I sat up all night with a crying child and then his eardrum burst at 5am, blood and puss on his pillow, and his pain stopped.

There is always a risk with ear infections that this will happen, some (like me obv) are more prone to it. The pain when the pressure is building up from the infection, is terrible and the last time it happened I went straight to A&E and they gave me industrial pain killers.

I used to get earache a lot as a child but never actually screamed in pain. So, not meaning to panic you, but just in case it is building up and putting pressure on his eardrum (which is what causes it to burst), please at least ring the docs surgery and see if you can get him checked out.

Flibbertyjibbet Wed 12-Mar-14 09:29:54

Oh and if it is actually an infection in the ear canal, he will need antibiotics.

DeWe Wed 12-Mar-14 09:49:33

Hot water bottle on the ear helps too.

Newpencilcase Wed 12-Mar-14 23:49:33

Thank you all.

He slept most of the night and when he woke up said his ear felt 'wet' but didn't hurt any more.

I don't think it burst though. It seems to have got better throughout the day so I think he's on the mend.

Have stocked up on pain killers for future reference though

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now