Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Tummy Bug? HELP ME PLEASE!

(10 Posts)
0FrillyKnickers0 Tue 11-Mar-14 22:25:08

Hi, please help!!

My 18mo has been off food since Thursday, just eating breakfast and bare minimum other meals, but enough for me not to really worry, she has been drinking lots. She was very sick yesterday about 5.30pm after tea, then again about 5am this morning. Not herself all day. Ate a total of 2 slices toast and some grapes and drank lots. She has just been very sick.

I am worrying and not sure what to do. Do I just let it play out over night?

skyeskyeskye Tue 11-Mar-14 22:27:43

don't give her grapes as they will upset her tummy. give her plenty of water, maybe with some rehydration sachets. you could ring your doctor for advice in the morning. dont give fruit juice or fizzy drinks though.,

0FrillyKnickers0 Tue 11-Mar-14 22:30:58

Thank you for replying. I'll see how she is over night. First proper illness (although she just got over the pox last week) sad

skyeskyeskye Tue 11-Mar-14 23:13:26

no worries, been through it with my DD and it's not nice when they are so ill. just feed her fairly plain food, toast or biscuits, don't give her any fruit or anything with a high fat content like cheese. just plenty of water, or very weak squash should be fine.

hope she gets better soon smile

fanjoforthemammaries7850 Tue 11-Mar-14 23:19:14

She will be ok.

She doesn't need to eat while in vomiting stage. Fluids are important ..little and often, check out the signs of dehydration online and monitor for them.

Hope it passes soon smile

bramblina Tue 11-Mar-14 23:22:36

I just had this with ds, 15m, 3 weeks ago. Didn't experience it with the other 2 dcs at this age and it was quite worrying. He had it 6 days in all, lost lots of weight. I saw the dr twice, not too worried as such but we live very remotely, dh was abroad and it was the weekend coming up. Anyway, I was advised to feed him soupy like things for the salt, and give him juice for the sugar. Other than that, water, and as long as he had wet nappies- no longer than 8 hrs between dry ones then there would be worry. I let him eat biscuits as he only seemed to want dry plain finger food. Toast too with just butter on. I agree with the grapes comment. I also read recently that one of the best foods to eat after we have been sick is a banana as it does a good job of rebalancing the stomach.
Don't worry, just go with it and call your gp for advice if you are worried.
HTH

bramblina Tue 11-Mar-14 23:24:22

no longer than 8 hrs and there would be no worry, sorry! Also hope the salt/sugar comment made sense- eg the dr told me the worry with vomitting is the levels of salt and sugar drop and that's what they worry about in wee ones.
Sorry! smile

0FrillyKnickers0 Tue 11-Mar-14 23:25:07

Thank you all so much. I really appreciate your help and advice!

totallyaimless Tue 11-Mar-14 23:36:23

I would really recommend acidophilus once your little one can have milk again, it repairs the gut flora/fauna what will have been destroyed and help to protect against reinfection. Its all natural and they sell it at Holland and Barrett I think and definitely online. When DD was that age we had 4 months of reinfection before a lovely MNer put me onto acidophilus and it stopped immediately. DD still takes it now and she is 7. Also good for general well being as your gut is where your immune system is controlled. See here:

www.amazon.co.uk/Solgar-ABC-Dophilus-Powder-49-6g/dp/B0001VVZ0C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1394580942&sr=8-1&keywords=abc+dophilus

BeaWheesht Wed 12-Mar-14 09:19:18

As you say she's just got over pox I'm wondering if she could have an ear infection? Quite a common complication.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now