Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Post Op packed lunch

(11 Posts)
MrsNouveauRichards Tue 11-Mar-14 18:26:28

Hi.

My 3yr old is going in for squint surgery in a couple of weeks. We have just had our pre-op assessment, and we were told to bring him a healthy packed lunch for afterwards.

Now I'm worried what their definition of healthy is!

I thought I'd pack a jam sandwich, a yoghurt tube, a smoothie, a banana and something cakey. Mostly because these are all his favourite things to eat if given the choice and after a GA he might feel picky.

Am I just over thinking this, and they are just trying to discourage people from bringing in a can of coke and a bag of crisps, or will I be judged on my failure to provide organic carrot sticks? grin

Sirzy Tue 11-Mar-14 20:53:43

I think that sounds fine. Nice soft foods which after a GA will be good as he may have a bit of a sore throat

pudseypie Tue 11-Mar-14 21:10:28

I wouldn't worry too much. What you have sounds fine and he will need tempting. We've just come home after 6 nights in hospital and my (just) 2 year old ds, recovering from major bowel surgery, was offered salted crisps, very strong squash that even and I couldn't drink and highly concentrated sugary apple juice by the hospital so not sure their own food is particularly healthy! !

MrsNouveauRichards Tue 11-Mar-14 21:45:35

Thanks. I was sure it would be fine, but you wonder if you are missing something!

Pudseypie, hope your DS is recovering well. It shocks me that hospital food can be so bad when you think how important food is to general health!

jojane Tue 11-Mar-14 21:49:03

Ds2 has grommet op in a couple of weeks and we havnt been told to take food on? Wondering if I should now?

BeaWheesht Tue 11-Mar-14 21:51:47

I took quite a lot in for ds post OP because I didn't know what hed fancy. There was plain bread, ham, cheese cubes, jelly, crisps, grapes and tomatoes.

MrsNouveauRichards Wed 12-Mar-14 07:27:03

I wonder if the day surgery unit don't supply meals, which is why we've been asked to bring lunch for him.

I must admit my biggest concern about the op is starving him beforehand. The boy usually has three breakfasts!

BeaWheesht Wed 12-Mar-14 09:15:17

Hopefully he won't be too far down the list - out hospital does it by age, youngest first.

With ds they did actually provide a packed lunch but ds is a bit fussy hence the packed lunch.

DeWe Wed 12-Mar-14 09:46:28

Our hospital gives their food after an operation. They're more concerned with them eating something than be healthy. So they offered ds, chocolate biscuits, crisps and later chicken nuggets and chips.
If I'd brought in sandwiches he wouldn't have eaten anything.

hellsbells99 Wed 12-Mar-14 09:49:18

I thought they normally just offer some toast and water after a GA?

MrsNouveauRichards Wed 12-Mar-14 13:01:47

They said he should be first or second on the list, so hopefully a new toy will distract him! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now