Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Call back from doctor about stool sample

(4 Posts)
minimumeffort Tue 11-Mar-14 13:58:07

My dd(2) had an episode of acute diarreah last week which was so bad she was just excreting mucus and small amounts of blood after a while. I took a stool sample to the doctors on Friday and have had a call from the doctors receptionist to call back about the results tomorrow (they won't tell me any more than that)

I am now panicking of course as to what it could be about. Sure I'm being silly but just wondered if anyone had any idea if it could be anything serious or whether it is probably just some bacteria they have found.

Dd seems to be getting better and is eating ok again but had since developed a terrible cough and is now shattered through lack of sleep. Joy!

KurriKurri Tue 11-Mar-14 15:16:24

It may well be that they have found the bacteria that were causing her upset tummy so can give you some specific anti-biotics to make sure its completely gone. Her symptoms certainly sound like a bacterial infection.

I think if they are asking you to call back tomorrow, they are not overly concerned or they would have had the doctor ring you and tell you today or ask you to come in today. Try not to panic - receptionists never give out info over the phone, I don't think they are allowed to - the fact that she wouldn't tell you doesn't mean it is something to worry yourself about smile

sallysparrow157 Tue 11-Mar-14 15:28:52

Some types of food poisoning are notifiable so they may just want to ask if anyone else has symptoms, if you've eaten out, that kind of thing, to try to work out where she got it from. Or it could just be that as they have identified a bug they want to check how she is doing, even with the types of food poisoning or stomach upsets that respond to antibiotics, she would only need treatment if she was still unwell.

henryhorrid Fri 14-Mar-14 17:12:30

could be cryptosporidium if so she should be fine if the upset stomach has passed however they try to trace where the infection has come from (often water). No treatment necessary.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now