Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Fucking cough. Anything else I can try?

(19 Posts)
GingerPCatt Tue 11-Mar-14 09:58:03

DS (2.8) has had a cough for a few weeks but the past week it's gotten worse. We've been to the doc and he says it's just a cold and to wait it out. DS is coughing all night for hours some times coughing so hard he gags. So neither of us is getting much sleep.
I've tried Vicks on feet and chest. Eucalyptus oil in the bath and in a bowl with hot water next to the bed. I've reduced milk consumption but not cut out yogurt or cheese. He's a very fussy eater so I'm going to attempt getting honey and lemon into him today. Is there anything else I can try that might help? I'm willing to try just about anything.

ShatnersBassoon Tue 11-Mar-14 10:00:45

Buttercup Syrup can be very soothing. It won't cure the cough, but it does help relieve some of the discomfort and can be taken by over 2s.

GingerPCatt Tue 11-Mar-14 10:20:44

Can I get it at a pharmacy? Will give it a try.
Anything that would give him a bit of relief so we could get some sleep is great.

Itssodifficult Tue 11-Mar-14 10:25:09

buttercup is sold over the counter.
but I think it can be something about allergy.
have you thought of giving some antihistaminic-but ask the dr first.
hope he gets better soon.

ShatnersBassoon Tue 11-Mar-14 10:28:28

Yes, you can get Buttercup it in supermarkets or chemists.

GingerPCatt Tue 11-Mar-14 10:28:48

I asked the doc about antihistamine but he said it wasn't necessary. Of course he doesn't have a coughing toddler and no sleep. I'll ask the pharmacist and see if they recommend one.
Hell even if it just knocks him out so we sleep that would be an improvement.

CocktailQueen Tue 11-Mar-14 10:31:43

When ds had the same, the only thing that worked was being propped almost upright to sleep with lots of pillows. That stopped the coughing. We haven't found any cough medicine that will do it, sadly.

Raxacoricofallapatorius Tue 11-Mar-14 10:32:48

Both dc have just had this. Cough was interminable, night after night of constant coughing. The pharmacist recommended something for dd but because she was over 6 she was allowed something with an active ingredient. It was magical. Pharmacist said it just dried up the secretions which were causing the cough. It was basically all the crap dripping down their throats, particularly at night. The pharmacist said there was nothing similar for a 2yo but the woman in the queue behind us said she had used antihistamines to provide the same relief in a smaller child. I didn't try it but you could ask your gp?

meditrina Tue 11-Mar-14 10:37:30

DS2 and I both seem to get coughs which hang around for quite a long time (following colds, or in the early hayfever season, and which are probably related to post-nasal drip).

Plain honey and glycerine cough syrup often helps. Antihistamines only really make a difference when it is hayfever season, not lingering cold.

GingerPCatt Tue 11-Mar-14 11:05:25

Thanks all and keep any tips coming
He's currently drinking camomile tea with honey and a dash of lemon.
I've been propping him up at night but I'll build him a little nest to keep him more upright tonight. Will talk to pharm and see what they recommend.

GingerPCatt Thu 13-Mar-14 11:11:36

Update
We've been giving DS tea with Masuka honey and that's helped a lot. Or it's just coincided with the cough fading naturally.
Thanks for all the tips. I'm keeping them handy for the next cold.

Nocomet Thu 13-Mar-14 11:32:51

Warm real sugary Ribenna is the best thing I know.

Even if it means being very naughty for a night or two and having it at 2am and not cleaning teeth afterwards.

I'm 46, DH brought me a cup at 5am, I too have the sodding cough.

I've been very good at coughing since I was a small child and the only cough medicine that helped has been withdrawn almost 30 years.

Pholcodine works a bit, but it's 5+

DD1 had a blue inhaler, which taken night and morning at the first sign of a cold and for two weeks after, helps a bit too.

However, again this is a better answer for a older DC who understands why and how to use it.

mummytime Thu 13-Mar-14 11:37:51

When did you take him to the Doctor? If a cough lasts "a few weeks" you should take the child back and ask among other things if it could be Whooping Cough.

Doctors sometimes don't have enough experience to diagnose it, and sometimes miss it.

Peggy2211 Fri 14-Mar-14 12:47:51

When my ds was about the same age he had a persistant cough he wasn't ill or had a temperature . I kept going back to the doctor who eventually gave him an inhaler which really helped. She said it could be asthma but that they didn't diagnose asthma until the kids are around 7. He's 10 now and has over the years had intermittent coughing times and the inhaler has alays helped. Keep going back to doctor cos omg that coughing is bloody awful for everyone.

surfmama Fri 14-Mar-14 22:15:17

everyone aeems to have it in town...went yesterday and cough cough everywhere. we used frankincense oil rub and high dose vit c and homeopathy and ours went in a week but may not be same...

elfycat Fri 14-Mar-14 22:26:44

Is there any breathlessness or wheeze at the end of a breath? Night coughing can be an indicator of asthma. I've just been diagnosed with it (aged 42!) as part of a tree pollen allergy. Apparently there's more pollen around for the time of year due to mild winter/nice weather.

Is it 'just' a cough, without a temperature or lethargy other than cause by disturbed sleep. It might be worth asking about this possibility.

If it's improving now keep an eye out for when the cherry trees are blossoming next year. I noticed a cough/hoarse voice for years at about this time and while it's probably not cherry pollen it's something that flowers at the same time (I'm going to be tested - the allergy nurse practitioner thinks Birch might be my problem)

If viral hopefully your DS is on the mend now.

Nocomet Sat 15-Mar-14 10:45:13

Crappy tree pollen doesn't help, I'm sure a bit of my snuffly bunged up nose is that horrible stuff on top of the cold.

And when I stop having a runny nose, DD2 will start, with the grass pollen season.

crispyporkbelly Sat 15-Mar-14 13:17:40

Oh god, ds 15 months has had this for 3 weeks! I'm tearing my hair out at lack of sleep due to coughing every night. I have done all the same things but nothing works.

Did the steamy shower which helped get all the snot out before bed last night.

Dr said just have to wait it out.

ilovepowerhoop Sat 15-Mar-14 13:27:03

you could try piriton (anti-histamine) before bed. It is suitable for over 1 year

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now