Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Lip tie

(8 Posts)
HHH3 Tue 11-Mar-14 09:23:55

I was reading another thread a little while ago and someone mentioned that having a gap between the top front teeth means a lip tie (or something like that).

15mo DS2 has a big gap but a lot of people in our family do so I didn't think anything of it. But I had a look in his mouth and sure enough he has a lip tie.

My question is, do I need to do anything about it? Is it likely to be a problem given we've got to 15 months with only the initial couple of weeks of bf being a problem?

EvaPeron Tue 11-Mar-14 14:46:48

I'm by no means an expert, but have done some reading as both of mine have lip ties. As far as I know, they are not cut unless the child has problems (e.g. speach or using an open cup). If they need braces for adult teeth, then the tie would be cut then.

Well done for persevering with breastfeeding - lip ties don't make it easy!

IKnowAMouse Tue 11-Mar-14 20:46:34

I didn't even realise ds had a lip tie until the dentist mentioned it. He was breasted til 2 so I don't think it caused problems in that sense. He is 6 now and it has disappeared and his gap (still baby teeth) has closed. Hope that helps a little

elfycat Tue 11-Mar-14 20:52:04

DD1 (5) has a fairly major lip tie and gap. It was painful to bf her but we went past a year but I didn't know about the tie or bfeeding and what should have been 'normal' for discomfort.

She's having speech therapy, but part of her problem was hearing difficulties due to a build up of sticky ear wax. The speech therapist wasn't concerned about the tie. Our dentist emphasized that we must ensure that her front teeth are cleaned fully as sometimes the bit near the tie doesn't get scrubbed properly by the brush.

poocatcherchampion Tue 11-Mar-14 20:52:24

I'm currently researching this for my 2y and 6m olds. I think not unless you have problems. Dd2 is suffering a bit but we are undecided whether to try to get it treated or just deal with it and try to improve her latch and wind and sleep. Dd1 we will probably leave until it causes a trouble for speech or teeth. She does lisp and it does mean I'll have to put up with her teeth in my nipplej til she weans.

GoodnessIsThatTheTime Tue 11-Mar-14 20:54:55

I have a 2 year old with a lip tie. We had the tongue tie cut and I was keen for the lip tie to be cut but we only noticed it recently due to the gap in the teeth.

We asked the dentist... who looked at me like I had 2 heads...

Although I'd rather ti was cut before her second teeth came in and she will surely need corrective braces/somethign?

elfycat Tue 11-Mar-14 21:00:38

GoodnessIsThatTheTime We're promoting gaps in teeth up until the point we need to do something about it. So any actor/acress/singer with a gap is pointed out to boost DD1's pride in her gap as a lovely but uncommon thing.

DH has a slight gap, as does his mother, though they don't have lip ties (DH has a tongue tie as it was treated with exercises and speech therapy, not surgery) so it's not hard to find gappy models for her.

HHH3 Tue 11-Mar-14 21:31:25

Thanks everyone - really helpful. Great to know that most people have no problems. Bf is going great - he leaves teeth marks but it doesn't hurt so I'm happy to leave things as they are. Will just keep an eye out for any problems in the future.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now