Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Kidney stone in baby's nappy?

(21 Posts)
Alexandra6 Mon 10-Mar-14 21:04:55

Hi, I was changing my baby today and found a large cream coloured lump on the changing mat. It looks sort of crystalline and is the size of a small pebble, about 1cm across. I'm worried it's a kidney stone?! Is that possible and what could the cause be? Freaking out a little bit sad

KurriKurri Mon 10-Mar-14 21:18:15

How old is your baby - could he/she have picked something up and swallowed it? If you can;t identify it as anything that baby might have swallowed then save the lump and take your baby to the doctor tomorrow, or ring 111 tonight.

I'm not medically qualified in any way, but I would think a kidney stone would be unlikely in such a young child, but hopefully someone who knows more will be along soon.

Bearandcub Mon 10-Mar-14 21:19:59

Can you take a picture?

I doubt it's a kidney stone though.

EmmaSue Mon 10-Mar-14 21:23:02

Is it a lump of the absorbent stuff from inside the nappy, that looks sort of like crystals, although not usually that big from what I can recall.

Aldwick Mon 10-Mar-14 21:23:21

Was the nappy a disposable and was it quite wet? Are you sure it wasn't a lump of gel from the inside of the nappy?

KurriKurri Mon 10-Mar-14 21:24:06

OK - I have googled, and it appears babies can get kidney stones, so it is possible, I would have thought your baby would have shown some other symptoms though - pain or UTI's or something like that. But honestly I would ring 111 and get their advice they can tell you if you need see someone tonight or can wait until tomorrow. Hope all is OK.

Rollermum Mon 10-Mar-14 21:29:26

My Dad had his kidney stone in a jar - it was hard, small and grey like grit. Also they are immensely painful to pass so I imagine it is unlikely a baby would do this without you noticing.

I agree with calling 111 to rule out other stuff though. Hope all is well.

Sirzy Mon 10-Mar-14 21:47:59

I was going to suggest the inside of the nappy.

If your not sure though phone 111 for advice

Alexandra6 Tue 11-Mar-14 07:43:45

Erm...a little bit embarrassing but I examined the lump quite a bit and I actually think it might be a bit of dried crayfish from my lunch that must have fallen down her vest! Sorry for time wasting but I'm really relieved it might just be that despite an evening of panicking! blush grin

Funnyfoot Tue 11-Mar-14 07:46:57

gringrin

OP that did make me laugh this morning thank you!

gringrin

Aldwick Tue 11-Mar-14 08:33:11

That's so funny! Glad all is ok.

JanePurdy Tue 11-Mar-14 08:34:41

Haha! That made me laugh too. Glad she's okay & you're not worried any longer. My dd2 used to have all sorts in we nappy that had slipped in smile

KurriKurri Tue 11-Mar-14 12:16:26

Haha - bless you OP - we've all made those kind of mistakes grin - I'm glad she's fine, and its always better to err on the side of caution with tinies -so not time wasting at all smile

Slebmum Tue 11-Mar-14 14:08:58

ha ha, this made me laugh. Warning for the future - when they eat banana they get wormy looking bits in their nappy from the stringy bits (I'm sure there's a technical name...). I thought it was worms the first time it happened!

Superworm Tue 11-Mar-14 19:57:08

Ha ha! It's never ending worry smile

We had the banana thing too...freaked me out.

Greysandybeach Tue 11-Mar-14 20:00:14

Classic! grin glad your dd is ok!

MrGeresHamster Tue 11-Mar-14 20:11:24

Ha ha ha... rehydrated raisins are another scary one to find. wink

Twighlightsparkle Tue 11-Mar-14 20:15:22

Oh bless!

Glad you found the cause.

I've had similar panics myself

yegodsandlittlefishes Tue 11-Mar-14 20:17:24

Try beetroot.

On second thoughts, no, don't!

Trooperslane Tue 11-Mar-14 20:20:47

Ahhh OP

Won't be the last time smile

Xxx

Weegiemum Tue 11-Mar-14 20:23:00

That's great. Having had stones, they are excruciating, on a par with labour. You'd know if your baby was passing one.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now