Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

How many days should I use Calpol to control temperature?

(5 Posts)
TallyGrenshall Mon 10-Mar-14 18:00:44

DS has a virus, head to toe rash and high temperature. We saw a GP on Saturday and he advised to just give Piriton for the itchiness, and Calpol to get his temperature down.

DS had been on 4 full doses a day since then (3 so far today but I'm sure he will wake up sweating in the night again tonight) and it does bring it down for a bit but after a couple of hours it starts to climb up again. The rash isn't getting any better either.

Should I go back to the GP or just carry on? DS seems fairly cheerful if a bit teary and very sleepy. He's 5

coldwater1 Mon 10-Mar-14 18:22:02

I would take him back. What does the rash look like? Apparently scarlet fever is rife atm

TallyGrenshall Mon 10-Mar-14 19:14:00

The rash is a very even red and bumpy all over. It's not patchy iyswim. His palms, soles of his feet, eyelids and inside of his mouth are not affected.

I'm just off to google scarlet fever

TallyGrenshall Mon 10-Mar-14 19:21:21

Hmm, I will take him in the morning. He doesn't have all the symptoms but the description of the rash is about right.

Thanks

stargirl1701 Mon 10-Mar-14 19:24:05

3 days, I think. I would pop back to the GP.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now