Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Recurrent urine infections in children

(10 Posts)
KateH1 Mon 10-Mar-14 09:12:17

Hi, my daughter has had recurrent urine infections since she was 1year old (15 in 12 months). She has seen a paediatrician and is now under a urologist, but we just don't seem to be getting anywhere in terms of understanding what's causing them or helping to stop them. Just wondering if anyone has had any experience of this or has seen anyone particularly good regarding it?

InSpaceNooneCanHearYouScream Tue 11-Mar-14 07:24:17

Has she has tests to see if she has urinary reflux?

InSpaceNooneCanHearYouScream Tue 11-Mar-14 10:00:40

What did the urologist say? After that many uti's I would expect them to put her straight onto a prophylactic dose of antibiotics to stop further uti's and then do various investigations to establish the cause

KateH1 Fri 14-Mar-14 13:29:08

She's had an ultrasound a year ago and blood tests. Was due to have a DMSA but it was cancelled as shed had another infection. Radiology say she needs to be 4 months free from infection which she never is! The urologist thinks linked to bowels and put on laxatives. She was never massively constipated apart from when first on solids which is when this all started. Laxatives make her go more but no difference to urine infections. Problem with prophylactic dose is the sensitivities change all the time e.g. Infection 2 weeks ago sensitive to trimethoprim and now has one resistant to trimethoprim so on amoxicillin but pretty sure it's getting worse now. Just feels like no one is trying to understand why this is happening.

InSpaceNooneCanHearYouScream Fri 14-Mar-14 16:50:22

A prophylactic dose, usually trimethoprim, might just be enough to stop the uti's. I'd have thought they would want to do a MCUG, and as far as I know they can do that whether or not they've had uti recently. I should think she should DEFINITELY be on a prophylactic antib till they work out what's causing them. Constipation affects my daughter's bladder and she needs 2 movicol a day

InSpaceNooneCanHearYouScream Fri 14-Mar-14 16:52:55

I've been told kids prone to uti's need to be doing one or two soft poos a day to prevent probs. and does she drink lots? That helps too

InSpaceNooneCanHearYouScream Fri 14-Mar-14 16:57:56

I'd be inclined to ring the consultant sec and tell her exactly how many she's had- he should suggest a prophylactic dose.good luck

MarieJeanne Fri 14-Mar-14 17:06:09

My DD had this and it was an urinary reflux. We live in France and she had a test called a 'cystographie' not sure what it is in English.
She had an operation when she was 2 yo and has been fine ever since.

InSpaceNooneCanHearYouScream Fri 14-Mar-14 20:34:21

The 'cystography' is the micturating cysto-urethrogram, or MCUG for short

PurpleAlert Sun 16-Mar-14 19:25:32

Disclaimer- I do not suggest not taking your DD to a doctor for a urinary infection- they can be very serious and anti biotics are often needed but...

My DD used to get endless waterworks problems when she was little.

Drinking loads of water helped but cranberry used to really help.

I am very very sceptical about homeopathy but someone recommended cantharis. Not sure which of the water, cranberry and wooo medicine worked but it always got rid of it quick smart and she only had anti biotics a few times.

We were always able to stop it in its tracks with our concoction! Might be worth a go ( perhaps as something to try on a daily basis? Couldn't hurt to try...)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now