Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Chicken Pox and steroids.

(10 Posts)
blueberryboybait Sun 09-Mar-14 20:35:43

DD's best friend has come out in spots today, She has had 2 sets of steroids in the last month and is on high dose steroid inhalers until her chest settles.

The pharmacist mentions being careful of CP and steroids but didn't say any more. Do I need to be concerned?

LoveSewingBee Sun 09-Mar-14 20:58:01

I suppose it depends on the dose of steroids. In certain cases they will closely monitor (hospital) and/or give antivirals. I would phone OOH tonight for advice in case they want to monitor or give antivirals straight away. Antivirals only work if given asap.

blueberryboybait Sun 09-Mar-14 21:05:33

It was a huge 25mg for 10 days - she is only a 14kg 3 year old! Will get on to the GP in the morning as our OOH is a grand hour and a half drive away!

LoveSewingBee Sun 09-Mar-14 21:15:28

I would at least call OOH now to see what they think.

blueberryboybait Sun 09-Mar-14 21:19:06

Thanks - I'll give them a try now.

LoveSewingBee Sun 09-Mar-14 21:21:22

Generally, CP is not dangerous in healthy people with a good immune system. However if the immune system is suppressed (only GP can tell you whether this is indeed tha case or not with your dd) then CP can get a very strong hold and in worse case scenario immune system cannot fight it so in these rare and special cases action needs to be taken BEFORE CP can take hold. That is why I think that you should at least phone your OOH NOW and then you can decide what to do or not do.
Never underestimate CP.

LoveSewingBee Sun 09-Mar-14 21:21:48

X post

CarsonH Mon 10-Mar-14 09:05:51

Yes, You need to be concern. Chicken pox is very itchy disease and taking good care of your child is must. High dosage of steroids are only advised by doctors and through their prescription. Not a random pharmacist can suggest you to use it.
Consult your doctor ASAP and then only give your child a high dosage of steroids.

blueberryboybait Mon 10-Mar-14 12:42:27

Carson - DD's steroids were prescribed by the GP not a pharmicist! The pharmacist warned about the complications of CP and steroids. I am not planning on randomly giving my toddler steroids.

mercibucket Mon 10-Mar-14 23:43:26

you need to check with a gp. they can give an injection to help prevent cpox if exposed or an antiviral if necessary. might not be necessary i dont know. 25mg daily for just 10 days might not be enough to lower immunity, its a gp's call. ooh or gp tmrw.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now