Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Anyone delayed mmr till child older?

(8 Posts)
PJ67 Sun 09-Mar-14 10:00:45

Hi. I have a 4 yr old and a 7 yr old who haven't had the mmr yet as I have been a bit worried due to my older son having a reaction when he got his as a toddler. I'm aware of the debate so not wanting to start up anything but just wondered if the side effects are likely to be any different in an older child. Has anone delayed them and how did they get on?
Thanks

insanityscatching Sun 09-Mar-14 10:09:01

Ds's was slightly delayed (he was almost 2) as he had had anaphylaxis (not to immunisation) and so needed his in hospital. He had no reaction to the jab just the expected mild symptoms 10 to 14 days later.
Dd had hers at two because ds has autism and GP wanted to watch and wait. She had her autism diagnosis a week before she was immunised again with no ill effects.
They both had the booster at the usual time pre starting school.

BrianTheMole Sun 09-Mar-14 10:11:53

I delayed dc's, one was 2 the other age 3.5yrs. I didn't notice any side effects at all.

InSpaceNooneCanHearYouScream Sun 09-Mar-14 14:08:45

I had my sons vaccinated for mmr at age 11 and 13! They were fine

FunLovinBunster Sun 09-Mar-14 20:28:59

Yes. We waited until she was 6.

MissRatty Mon 10-Mar-14 19:07:46

I think that this is a conversation that you need to have with your GP and an immunologist, as it can be risky giving it later...just in terms of the higher incidences of the infections due to people delaying or getting single vaccines (or not at all!) and the consequences of getting these infections can be very serious and puts others at risk, so you should really speak to a HCP about it and follow their advice. Anecdote does not equal data, so you can't really base your decision on others' experiences, you need to have a chat about the risk of reaction vs the risk of infection and make an informed decision that way.

Benzalkonium Mon 10-Mar-14 19:11:08

I read a study which had found evidence that children contracting 2 of the 3 diseases before the age of 2 were at risk of having a specific bowel issue. Which occurs in ASD children also. However after the age of 2 this risk is negligible. (as far as I can remember) if you want the link to the research pm me and I'll look it up for you.

allisgood1 Mon 10-Mar-14 19:24:20

DD1 had hers at 2.5 only because we were going abroad. DD2 is 28 months and hasn't had it. She will be getting separate jabs as she had a reaction to the 5:1 that I would rather not repeat.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now