Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

could this be slapped cheek?

(6 Posts)
Kveta Sat 08-Mar-14 18:28:23

DS is 4.5, and goes to school nursery. Yesterday at bath time I noticed he was covered in a rash on his torso, and one of his cheeks was a bit pink. He has been complaining of tiredness a lot this past week too. But then he does get up at 4 most days, so I'd be surprised if he wasn't tired...

Anyway, today the rash has been creeping up his neck, along his arms and legs, and his other cheek is quite pink too.

The rash is quite faint, lots of tiny pink spots, and feels bumpy to touch. not bright red like scarlet fever, or measles, definitely not chicken pox, doesn't look like an allergy really, not eczema. Dh wonders if it is a reaction to fabric conditioner, but I haven't changed it recently. I am wondering if it is slapped cheek, but not sure it is red enough, plus he doesn't seem that unwell! No temperature either.

Any other reasons a child can get a rash like this?! He's fully up to date with his vaccines too!

Kveta Sat 08-Mar-14 21:41:59

ok, extensive googling suggests it must be slapped cheek, so we will have to keep an eye on him. Can he go to school on monday?!

Mum1369 Sat 08-Mar-14 21:44:25

Sounds like slapped cheek, but could also be a viral rash (although unlikely with no temp)
As far as I can remember, they can go to school with it

BuzzardBird Sat 08-Mar-14 21:46:33

Are you registered with a gp?

Kveta Sat 08-Mar-14 22:11:10

Yes we are buzzard, not sure it's worth a trip to gp though as he isn't actually unwell with it, just rashy!

Thanks mum1369 smile

AmandinePoulain Sat 08-Mar-14 22:40:10

I'm not sure about school - to be honest I wouldn't, slapped cheek is very dangerous for pregnant women so if any of his classmates catch it they may spread it to one. I had a slapped cheek scare when I was pregnant with dd1, thankfully I had prior immunity so all was fine but it was a worrying few days. I would keep him off.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now