Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

BCG scar red & inflamed in 6mnth old

(5 Posts)
Mummyanxious Sat 08-Mar-14 16:01:25

Hi mums, my LO had his bcg vaccination when he was 2 days old as is the norm where we live. A few months later it became pus-filled and the top fell off. It healed quickly and all was normal, leaving a white scar, until a few days ago when the area around it became red, with a bumpy raised rash which was warm to the touch. Has anyone else experienced this?

stinkypants Sun 09-Mar-14 07:22:26

Sounds like it might be infected. Might need anti biotics?

SpanielFace Sun 09-Mar-14 07:35:49

No experience of this in a baby, but my bcg vaccination (which I had late, when I was 18) became infected, pus-filled and scabby. I ignored it because I was 18 and too busy with uni, nights out etc, and ended up with cellulitis (soft tissue infection) up and down my arm, a high temperature and feeling really ill. Antibiotics sorted it out, of course. I would get it it checked.

Mummyanxious Mon 10-Mar-14 04:41:08

Been to docs twice, one said rash other eczema, there's no swelling/lump which is why doc not saying infection. Spoke to midwife from uk who says it's normal for bcg to flare up like this on and off but there's nothing at all on the net about it...has anyone's baby had the same thing?

DeWe Mon 10-Mar-14 12:10:20

It sounds like when we had it aged 14/15yo at school. I remember comparing, and we all went through similar.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now