Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

What to expect at ENT referral 1st appointment?

(18 Posts)
cheekymonk Fri 07-Mar-14 21:26:23

Hi am anxious about dd aged 3's appt on Monday. She has severe speech delay and had recurrent glue ear for last 12 months. She snores loudly, gets frequent ear infections and colds/runny nose. I am hoping and praying they will do grommets but I know they are usually reluctant to take any action! Any experience or advice as to what to say? Thank yougrin

wintersdawn Fri 07-Mar-14 21:33:41

we recently had our first appointment due to delayed speech development and we weren't in there 10 mins, he looked in her ears said no glue ear at present but she has massive tonsils for her age. come again in three months and we'll check her again.

When I questioned the tonsils comment he just said I'm sure she'll grow into them and yes thats why she snores so badly.

felt like I was waiting his time so I really hope yours has more time for you.

incywincyspideragain Fri 07-Mar-14 21:43:36

heres the link you need to find - NICE guidelines for surgical management of glue ear

cheekymonk Fri 07-Mar-14 21:44:15

This is what I'm dreading- being dismissed! we have seen doc about it who has given dd antibiotics for 3 months to reduce glue ear as that is sometimes something they suggest. I had noticed her hearing seemed better. It makes me cross that we get treated like this no wonder people go private! Thank you and hope you get more action soon

cheekymonk Fri 07-Mar-14 21:44:52

Thanks incywincy

cheekymonk Fri 07-Mar-14 21:56:30

That's really helpful incywincy. luckily we have a hearing appt the same day before ENT so am hoping that will help as it seems much more likely that action will be taken with hearing issues rather than speech hmm

incywincyspideragain Fri 07-Mar-14 23:42:17

Take any SALT reports with you, affect on learning and development is considered in treatment options x

cheekymonk Sat 08-Mar-14 12:49:37

Will do thanks again incywincy

Willdoitinaminute Sat 08-Mar-14 13:44:08

Went through this with DH. At every appointment with ENT including follow ups after surgery they carried out hearing test before we saw the consultant so that he could see the results. I think at the first appointment he had just had a test which had triggered the referral.
Consultant discussed the options which included hearing aids if we were not keen on surgery. However DS had already started school and surgeon was keen to sort it out (his own DC were at the same school and he understood how important good hearing was at this stage).
At 3 there is always a chance it may improve spontaneously and since grommets last up to 3 years it may be considered a little early for surgical intervention.
DS had grommets and adenoids removed. At the 3month check up one grommet had already come out, but his hearing was normal in both ears. Consultant felt that his adenoids had been the main cause and their removal had made the difference. He has had no problems since (now 9yrs old), the other grommet came out about 18months after the surgery.
DS had been deemed average ability by reception teacher but within a few weeks of op had been moved into the top ability group and has comfortably remained there since.

jojane Sat 08-Mar-14 13:58:58

The hearing test should work in your favour. Ds2 was referred last year finally at age 2.5 after having recurrent burst ear drums since 5 months old! Got really annoyed as would trek into hospital for consultant appointments every 6 weeks or so for a 2 min consultation where he would basically indicate Ds would grow out of it and we shall see how it goes, wasn't until I insisted on a hearing test which showed Ds had moderate to severe hearing loss due to glue ear that consultant agreed to do grommets (mind you that was last September and have only now finally got a date for end of the month!

givemeaclue Sat 08-Mar-14 14:05:48

My dd has appt in 2 weeks for possible nodules on vocal chords. Saw gp last week about it but didn't take dd as didn't want to talk about it in front of her. Have got private medical cover, when I called this week she was offered consultant appt in 2 days time! Have delayed it for a couple weeks as had other things on. Expecting examination to be not very nice but haven't told dd that.

cheekymonk Sat 08-Mar-14 18:14:09

Hmmm thanks got your responses. Her hearing has been tested for over a year. Each time they have found glue ear but said her hearing wasn't affecting her speech and was at a sufficient level. Doctor indicated that yes it was ok but could be better. Dd has been referred to eyfs panel due to her speech, nursery report low confidence and esteem because of it. She has been seeing salt for over a year but still in 8-20 month stage for her speech. ent referral was requested by new salt we have been seeing and she admitted they need to see dd much more. Already talk of sen and additional support at school have been mentioned. If they act now hopefully it shouldn't need to come to that! Thanks again all

Kveta Sat 08-Mar-14 18:20:40

DS always had a hearing test initially. They were very thorough, and as he had no speech delays he was just monitored for a while. However, he had loads of infections during g the period between appts, so at one appt when he had had a bad infection/burst ear drum the week before, they decided to try him on trimethoprim for 6 weeks, and if that was no use, then discuss grommets. We were very lucky, trimethoprim worked, and he has maybe had 1 infection in the 20 months since he had the treatment!

Of course, now DD is getting them, but not asked for referral for her yet.

Hope your appt is useful smile

cheekymonk Sun 09-Mar-14 09:23:44

Am really grateful for the posts thank you- am definitely stressing about it all!

happyoverhere Sun 09-Mar-14 09:28:10

My son is just about to have yet another set of grommets. I have always found them very willing to act and put grommets in. He has had reduced hearing and recurrent ear infections and this coupled with dyslexia means he struggles at school. I think, as the others have said, that the key is the hearing test and tympanogram, if she has reduced hearing and glue ear and has speech problems I am sure they will insert grommets especially as you have already done the 3 months of ABs.

DeWe Mon 10-Mar-14 11:06:29

My ds has just had his third set of grommets age 6yo.

Talk about speech problems, mention behaviour/social issues with not being able to hear and communicate with peers and teachers.

cheekymonk Mon 10-Mar-14 16:54:52

I could buy you all a drinkgrin brilliant advice. Dd will be having grommets in and adenoids out. Having paperwork definitely helped so thank you all v much x

littlecupcake Sat 22-Mar-14 16:24:54

We didn't get anywhere with the NHS but had our first private appointment on Tuesday. Three days later my daughter had grommets put in - this was yesterday and the difference in what she can hear is amazing. I was apprehensive about surgery but she was awake within an hour of going to theatre and home a few hours after that. She's spent today telling me that she can hear things like the washing machine filling with water, and even asked us to turn the TV down when she went to bed last night. And, of course, there's the added bonus of not having to repeat everything six times! Well done, and good luck with the surgery x

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: