Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Holiday but worried about kids being ill

(9 Posts)
craziedaisy Fri 07-Mar-14 14:09:19

Sorry if this sounds a bit ott but dd has recently had to use her inhaler alot more regularly when she is suffering from colds. She had one episode where she worried me enough to take her to our local 24 hour minor injury/ ooh department which is 5 or 6 minute drive away. She just didn't seem to respond to 5 or 6 puffs of ventolin. This has made be more anxious and now we are off to Devon for a weeks holiday soon which has a 45 minute drive to A and E. Would a local ooh doctor have a nebuliser? I guess we are just lucky to have a good GP service so close to us 24 hours a day. Anyone got any advice so I can relax on holiday.

cestlavielife Fri 07-Mar-14 14:14:36

ah memories...my son had a severe croup atttack in devon when he was small in a holiday cottage - but i was able to ride it out...

get a letter from gp or consultant specifying her condition and which meds and what to nebulise etc.
can you get stronger "rescue" steroids for an attack?

i think you will just have to call 999 for ambulance if she struggling to breathe on holiday. the ambulance would be able togive her oxygen etc.

Sirzy Fri 07-Mar-14 15:20:21

We have a holiday supply of pred for DS for if he is ill with his asthma while away.

take the details of the local minor injuries type place with you, if A and E is so far away chances are there will be some sort of minor injuries locally. Where are you staying? most places have a list of the local medical facilities

brettgirl2 Fri 07-Mar-14 16:41:09

Is she just on ventolin?

craziedaisy Fri 07-Mar-14 17:24:05

Yes she is prescribed ventolin. There is a minor injury unit close by but it shuts at 5 in the evening and these things seem to happen at 2:00 am! We are going to Kingsbridge in Devon. In the past I wouldn't have been so worried but its just that one time that ventolin didn't seem to work.

monikar Fri 07-Mar-14 17:33:03

Does she have a preventer as well or just the ventolin? When DD was small, we were told to increase the preventer when she had a cold as that would give her extra protection for its duration.

Sirzy Fri 07-Mar-14 17:44:45

Does she not have a preventer?

I would visit your GP before going to put an action plan in place if you are worried.

Twighlightsparkle Fri 07-Mar-14 19:12:41

Phone 999 of you are worried on holiday about the severity of an attack, that's what they are there for.

V good idea to see the GP before you go, but a child having an asthma attack that's not being resolved by their own inhaler is perfect candidate for an ambulance; they will be able to nebulise her on the spot and whizz her off to treatment. How old is she?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now