Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

How do I help DD6 walk again after a broken leg?

(16 Posts)
ImNotReallyHere Fri 07-Mar-14 13:14:47

DD6 has been in a full leg cast for 7 weeks which was removed yesterday. I knew she wouldn't be running around straight away but she can't walk a single step. What can we do to help her?

Think the problem is two-fold.
1. The leg muscle is weak and she says it hurts to walk on it and
2. She's scared to walk on it

She's gone to school on crutches again but I can see that she is completely using them to support her and putting no weight on the broken leg at all. This is probably out of habit as much as anything else.

I'm at a loss and hospital haven't offered any suggestions or physio.

Nocomet Fri 07-Mar-14 13:17:13

Given DD2 both times she broke her arm, she'll forget to worry very soon.

Middleagedmotheroftwo Fri 07-Mar-14 13:17:48

I would call GP and ask to be referred to a physio - you may need to pay for this yourself, but would be worth it to get a few hints as to what you can do at home.

How about swimming? It's non-weight bearing, so might help develop the muscles a bit without DD noticing.

ImNotReallyHere Fri 07-Mar-14 13:23:24

Thanks for speedy replies. She does have swimming lessons but the hospital said she needs to be able to walk first. Tbh she wouldn't be able to walk with crutches near a pool anyway. I suppose we could try to carry her in and swim without going to a lesson. It's not the most disabled friendly pool.

Middleagedmotheroftwo Fri 07-Mar-14 13:24:32

I'd try swimming without a lesson. Make it fun. Could she hop from changing room to pool, leaning on you?

ImNotReallyHere Fri 07-Mar-14 13:37:18

Thanks. No, unfortunately it's a long walk from changing rooms to pool. But I'll maybe give it a go on Sunday. Any other suggestions welcome.

Milliways Fri 07-Mar-14 16:11:25

My DS Had 9 weeks in a full cast so you have my sympathy as he was very scared of anything touching it for a few days as the skin was so sensitive.
Massaging the leg with E45 cream can help and also Siam in the bath and try to get the knee moving in the water.
Strand and swing the bad leg helps some muscles, then sitting along the sofa if floor, slide that leg up and down to bend and stretch the knee as it will be stiff.
We did get physio in the end as DS developed a tight Achilles' tendon so keep an eye out for pain above there when he does get going again.
Good luck!

cestlavielife Fri 07-Mar-14 16:33:07

find a disabled friendly pool which has a chair on wheels you can wheel to pool side.
but get advice from physio. there may be a hydrotherapy pool she could access eg at the hospital

ask gp for urgent referral to community paediatric physio

jellybelly18 Fri 07-Mar-14 16:38:38

When I was a child I broke my leg badly and when the cast came off I honestly remember thinking that I wouldn't be able to walk properly again. I kept my crutches for a couple of weeks using them less and less and just went slow and steady and everything was fine. It just takes time.

SummerRain Fri 07-Mar-14 16:38:59

Dd had 9 weeks in a full leg cast. She wasn't afraid to walk but she did walk very strangely for a long time as the muscles needed to build up strength.

Give her time and don't make too much of a fuss, she'll do it gradually as she develops confidence. Right now her leg feels so peculiar she's probably petrified it will hurt... Once the muscles start to adjust to the lack of cast and the leg starts to feel normal again she'll start to tentatively put weight on it.

gymboywalton Fri 07-Mar-14 16:42:51

i remember this when i was a kid and broke my leg. i was in a full leg cast for a very long time and when the cast came off not being able to walk.
a broken leg is a funny thing-once the cast comes off. your leg isn't back to normal. it still hurts! it takes time to feel better. i remember my mum massaging my leg with olive oil and it being really withered and white and hairy.

be really patient with her. what helped me in the end was walking along a promenade holding hands with a relative and holding onto the rails.
physiotherapy a great idea.

Milliways Fri 07-Mar-14 16:50:23

Sorry about my awful typos on phone!
Was supposed to be "soak"in bath. Stand not strand and swing leg! blush

ImNotReallyHere Fri 07-Mar-14 23:39:26

Thanks for reassuring messages. Will try and get get to walk a bit this weekend.
And lol Millyways to ur typo - googled Siam hoping it was a miracle cream :-)
She had her first playtime today and apparently fell so even more scared than usual

ImNotReallyHere Fri 07-Mar-14 23:40:07

Get her - not get get!!!

ImNotReallyHere Sat 08-Mar-14 22:30:14

Bumping as another day gone past and no profess x

Cringechilli Sat 08-Mar-14 23:14:34

I would keep getting her in the bath as it will be more comfortable to try and mobilise in warm water. When my dd broke her arm, it was a good 2 weeks before it was normal ish.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now