Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Decalcification in front teeth of 20 month old DS2 Dentists/any with experience PLEASE help!

(14 Posts)
joymaker Fri 07-Mar-14 10:38:33

I noticed white patches on the front of my child s teeth a few months ago and thought it might be due to insufficient calcium so I simply increased the amount of calcium in his diet, little did I know that it was such a serious problem.

I have been so so worried about 4 of his upper front teeth (some have gone brown at the top of the tooth and now one has started to crumble away) When I took him for his appointment last week my dentist said DS2 was suffering from a process called decalcification.

Again now, on one of his lower front teeth I can see a white spot. The deterioration (It all) seems to be happening so rapidly. I’m now so ridiculously scared even to give him fruit I can’t tell you how Sad sad sad I am.

I’ve been told to use adult toothpaste if I can on his teeth but after some internet research wondered whether the GC MI toothpastes such as this could be better and whether they are safe to use for such a young child. I’ve also heard that cod liver oil can help is it true? Is there anything proven to be better ‘out there’?

I would really appreciate some advice as to how to treat or even slow down the process of decalcification until his referral appointment to the hospital dentist comes around.

TIA

Willdoitinaminute Fri 07-Mar-14 18:44:26

Avoid all juices and squashes. They have no real dietary value. Whole fruit is much better. Try to restrict to water and milk. And make sure you don't leave your DS with a bottle let him have a drink then take the bottle/cup away, this discourages them from developing bad habits with bottle or cup. If he is bf he can't feed with the nipple in the space between his lip and teeth so this is not a problem.
Look for a brush you can put on the end of your finger like a finger puppet, it is much easier to clean babies teeth with these brushes www.mothercare.com/Mothercare-Finger-Toothbrush/452914,default,pd.html
The GC pastes are designed for adults and not recommended for children under 6 so stick with adult toothpaste.
There are a number of possible causes not all dietary that will be considered by the hospital dentist. Until you see them good oral hygiene will help to remove plaque.
While you are waiting start making a food diary. Make a note of everything and I mean everything he eats and drinks over a week or so and the exact time. Its a bit of a pain but it will help them eliminate diet as the cause. Also think back to when you started weaning and list food and drink for the average day be truthful and please don't feel guilty. They are not going to judge you but will help you see what has possibly lead to the problem. The more information you provide the better.
Unfortunately, the very persuasive marketing tactics of food and drink manufacturers can convince us all that our children are benefiting from their products.

joymaker Sat 08-Mar-14 08:21:45

He’s never been given a bottle I have always breast fed and he drinks from a cup. We don’t drink squashes or fizzy drinks so we wouldn’t give them to the DC (only water milk and prior to seeing some discolouration a natural fruit juice sometimes diluted with water sometimes not at breakfast). We also cook most food from scratch. DC2 isn’t a big eater and tends to eat little an often. He likes yoghurt , fruit and cornish wafers (crackers) as snacks.Treats have always been kept to an absolute minimum for both DC DC1, nearly 4yo, has the same diet and same good oral hygiene and has perfect teeth that’s why I’m so upset.

Thanks for the advice, I’ll stick with adult toothpaste. The idea of keeping a food diary is a very good one.

Willdoitinaminute Sat 08-Mar-14 12:15:36

It sounds like he is more likely to have an enamel defect rather than dietary problem.

But this may need even more vigilance with diet and eating habits.
Watch yoghurts they have added sugar and are quite acidic.

Was he a sicky baby or has he been diagnosed with reflux? Again the hospital will probably go through all this with you.

joymaker Sat 08-Mar-14 14:15:20

I'm really sad you might be right, that's what my dentist suspects too. DC2 was a sicky baby, he had silent reflux and was prescribed ranitidine until just after he started taking solids at 6 months.

I'm just worried now that I've been making it worse by possibly being overzealous in trying to keep his teeth clean (brushing too soon after snacks) and have been inadvertently brushing away the little enamel he may have had sad

I'll have to ration the yoghurts too then. If I can get him to drink more cows milk I think I will remove them completely. I really appreciate the advice Willdo. Do you work in dentistry?

PurpleSproutingBroccoli Sat 08-Mar-14 14:29:15

Sorry to hear he's having trouble. I'm not a dentist and it was a while ago, but my dd1's baby teeth also had decalcification, and a couple of them crumbled in the way you describe. She had fillings and she was only 4 or 5 - I remember the looks of disgust I got in the waiting room when people heard her talking about them. But her diet was similar to what you describe for your ds. I'm not sure we ever found out what caused it, but I wanted to say that she is now 15 and her second teeth came in fine. Lovely and strong, no fillings smile

willowisp Sat 08-Mar-14 14:29:52

There is interesting information in the Weston A Price website - he was a dentist from the '20's.

Basically they advocate getting minerals into the body which support bone & teeth growth. Best way is bone broth, so buy a decent chicken (preferably organic or free range) making chicken stock (rather than buying stock cubes) & using as much as possible. Calcium needs other minerals to work with, so stewing the bones releases these minerals.

I've used tooth mousse on my teeth, if dentist has said use adults toothpaste, surely this would be ok ?

Is it worth looking back at any medication etc you may have taken when pregnant because, iirc, teeth form in the uterus ?

HTH

PurpleSproutingBroccoli Sat 08-Mar-14 14:30:11

But yes, she was also a very sicky baby, reflux etc.

willowisp Sat 08-Mar-14 14:32:58

Just liked at your links & the WAP foundation recommend the cod liver oil & the tooth cream is similar (or re-branded) to what I've used

anothernumberone Sat 08-Mar-14 14:34:33

Have a look for an upper lip tie. These issues are very common when one is present.

joymaker Sat 08-Mar-14 23:43:18

PurpleSprouting thanks for sharing your experience , it is a relief to know that permanent teeth coming after can be strong smile

willow it's funny you mention bone broth because I have been making it but using beef bones for the last month. I've been keeping a lot of the veg with it instead of straining it and also adding pulses (it all goes into the slow cooker). It's really tasty and DC really like it. I'll try it with chicken this week. I might just buy the cod liver oil even if it doesn't make a huge difference to DC2's teeth it couldn't hurt right? I need to feel like I'm doing all I can.

anothernumber I hadn't heard of this until yesterday when a MNetter mentioned it ( in behaviour/development), I intend going to seen my GP to rule it out.

Thank you all

louismummy Sat 08-Mar-14 23:56:32

Hi I'm a dentist and reviewed your diet list and to me some of the foods you mentioned are problematic: Yoghurt- this can have ALOT of sugar in I've cases with rampant caries from this.
The grazing- it takes the mouth at least 20 mins to recover from eating, longer from drinking. so if the child is having a snack every couple of hours, taking 15-20 mins to eat snack this means the sugar attack could potentially be 45 mins per 120 mins whch is alot.
Some savoury foods can cause more problems as they stick to teeth and aren't washed away with saliva eg crisps. It could be the cornish wafers fall into this category. hth

joymaker Sun 09-Mar-14 10:32:00

Thanks for your feedback loismummy. I tend to give him these snacks if he refuses to eat any more from the meal (i.e the breakfast, lunch or dinner) I originally served when it is offered again iykwim. Unfortunately this is often. He also likes bananas and apples. He will eat a bit of cheese served on something say pasta or potatoes but won't eat cheese as a snack.

Could you suggest any foods you think might be better?

My dentist touched on the frequency aspect, though you have explained it really clearly thank you.

willowisp Tue 11-Mar-14 09:55:11

I think the cod liver is a good idea, apparently what else is good - for minerals etc, are organ meats. I buy organic chicken ulcers from Abel & cole (+ you can buy organic chicken carcasses cheap) & throw them into the processer when making meat balls. DH pan fried them for the DC but they weren't buying it grin

Ref frequency of good - you're just going to have to go hard core serve 3 meals a day. I completely get the crisps thing sticking to the teeth. My mum only let me eat choc because it doesn't stick to teeth - chubby, filling less child. I hate the amount of crap haribos etc get at school for b'days & just say you can have them after tea....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now