Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

First dentist appointment for a baby

(7 Posts)
UnicornCrisps Thu 06-Mar-14 18:53:08

When does a baby need to see a dentist for the first time? By a certain age or certain number of teeth or?

ilovepowerhoop Thu 06-Mar-14 18:57:01

I took mine along from when they got their first teeth - they just got a quick glance to get them used to going tbh. Here in Scotland under the Childsmile initiative they want you to take them as soon as you can to get them used to the sights and smells of the dentist.

pookamoo Thu 06-Mar-14 19:01:10

I've always taken mine to every appointment I've had after their birth onwards. Gets them used to it. You can register them from birth, then if they will open their mouth while you're there, the dentist can start their records.

UnicornCrisps Thu 06-Mar-14 19:01:32

DD has got two teeth fully through now so I’ll get her booked in, wasn’t sure. Do they just sit on your lap? What if they clamp their mouth shut?

ilovepowerhoop Thu 06-Mar-14 19:08:18

mine just sat on my lap although dd in particular didnt open her mouth until she was several years old whereas ds was more receptive from an earlier age.

cathpip Thu 06-Mar-14 19:09:57

My dc came from newborn, the dentist had a feel from when they got there first tooth. Don't panic about the mouth clamping, dentists are very clever smile

Cringechilli Thu 06-Mar-14 19:11:12

I took ds when he was 4 blush.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now