Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Advice to give my friend re.constipation in her DD please

(7 Posts)
januaryjojo Thu 06-Mar-14 08:32:14

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MadMonkeys Thu 06-Mar-14 11:43:51

She needs to see the GP. Changes to her diet may help but if it is that bad she probably needs some help. My DD is on movicol - it's not a laxative (it doesn't stimulate the bowel), instead it makes the bowel absorb water to soften the stools. If she has impacted stools she may have diarrhoea as the stool blocks the bowel and watery poo squeezes past the blockage. Constipation gets painful, so kids withhold the poo making it worse. It is far better to get help as soon as possible, trying to solve it yourself will only delay and make it worse.

MadMonkeys Thu 06-Mar-14 11:45:24

Meant to add, laxatives are not good long term, but there are no known problems associated with movicol. Don't try to sort it with laxatives.

ilovepowerhoop Thu 06-Mar-14 12:00:50

she shouldnt give lots of fibre without lots of fluids alongside as the constipation will just get worse. I would tell her to take her dd to the GP as they should prescribe something to help.

puddock Thu 06-Mar-14 12:02:52

What MadMonkeys said. My DS is on lactulose long term for the same reason.

januaryjojo Thu 06-Mar-14 12:24:17

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

henryhorrid Thu 06-Mar-14 19:23:29

I agree with all the other posters. Bran without lots of water will be making the problem worse. Night wetting is a sign of impaction. I don't think it can be sorted with diet at this stage, impaction can only be cleared with medication such as movicol. Delaying treatment can cause long term problems and sadly permanent incontinence in the very worse cases.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now