Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

18 month old has temperature but otherwise fine. Not sure what to do...

(11 Posts)
Fiveleaves Wed 05-Mar-14 21:24:09

DD has temp of 38 degrees and has since lunchtime. Forehead still hot but she's asleep. Has had a slight cough for a few days but eating normally and normal active behaviour. Slightly out of sorts but that's all. Sleeping normally in usual sleeping clothes (vest, babygro, grobag). NHS online advice etc all says to give plenty of fluids and keep cool but she is sleeping fine, won't have Calpol (tried before bed) and I can hardly keep giving her water if she's asleep. What to do? Am worried that I need to be doing something....

BeaWheesht Wed 05-Mar-14 21:45:23

38 isn't that high. If she's rousable I'd probably just leave her be for now. Try not to worry too much.

You coul try taking her temp in her sleep if you're worried she's too hot in all those layers.

Remember you can try nurofen too if need be.

ShoeWhore Wed 05-Mar-14 21:48:38

I'd let her sleep but take her temp (without waking if you can) a bit later. If she's still a bit hot maybe try and remove a layer?

Fiveleaves Wed 05-Mar-14 21:52:14

Thank you. She just won't take any medicine at all. Have turned radiator in room off as was on full so hopefully that will help but I think she has had a bit of a cold so hard to judge what to put her to sleep in.

Will keep checking her and try to remove grobag if she still seems hot. Thanks.

Sidge Wed 05-Mar-14 21:56:08

A temperature is a symptom not a cause - if she's otherwise well, eating, drinking, alert and her usual self then you don't need to do anything.

If she's got 3 layers on in a fully heated room it might not even be a fever, she could just be overheated. If she wakes then take her vest off, if not then maybe remove her grow bag and cover her with an unfolded cellular blanket (not fleece).

MrsKCastle Wed 05-Mar-14 21:59:32

I wouldn't be too concerned about a temperature on its own- especially a slight one. My two occasionally have something similar, then it seems to pass after a day or so. I'd keep an eye on her for other symptoms, but that's about it.

Fiveleaves Wed 05-Mar-14 22:00:09

Sidge, temp was taken earlier before layers were on. Thanks for reassurance. Everything else is fine. Will try to take temp again, thanks.

Sidge Wed 05-Mar-14 22:04:16

Ah, ok, she might be brewing something or just have a cold.

Hope she's better soon smile

Fiveleaves Wed 05-Mar-14 22:13:16

Thanks. She threw up on Saturday which is out of character and was off her food for the afternoon and we have all had a slight bug in the house over the past week at done point so hopefully she is just getting over that as had cough too. Just felt forehead and temp gone town a bit since I turned radiator down.

Appreciate reassurance. Seems like a grey area when they have the odd symptom but otherwise fine...

AcrossthePond55 Wed 05-Mar-14 23:34:57

My paediatrician always said that to be more concerned with how my children were behaving rather than the number on a thermometer. As long as they were eating, playing, and behaving normally that I shouldn't panic, just keep an eye on the situation. But if they started acting out of sorts, lethargic, or not eating to call him even if they just had a low grade temp.

AcrossthePond55 Wed 05-Mar-14 23:35:37

where did that 'that' come from in my post?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now