Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Baby cheesy neck folds!

(12 Posts)
wolfgirl83 Wed 05-Mar-14 09:45:11

Hi, DS is 15 weeks and has typical baby double, more like quadruple, chins! :D
Just noticed the inner folds are v red and moist, almost wet, v cheesy and manky smelling, yuk! Only noticed when asleep with head lolled back.
I wash in the folds with weleda baby soap every bath time and try to dry but its almost impossible to get to when he's awake and squirmy!
Any ideas for treating and preventing please? Would powder be good or make it worse? Thanks!

Mogz Wed 05-Mar-14 11:01:08

Don't use powder, if it gets moist it's a perfect breeding ground for bacteria.
In between baths give his face and neck a once over with a wet wipe or warm damp flannel and thn pat dry with kitchen towel whilst he is sitting up.
If it doesn't get better in a few days it could be that there is already an infection in there which means a trip to the gp for some topical cream.
Hope it clears, scrunched baby necks are fiddly!

wolfgirl83 Thu 06-Mar-14 08:21:25

Thanks Mogz that was my instinct that powder would make it worse. Will try the sitting up thing to dry off, and just keep on washing the area and hope it clears up. Thanks.

froubylou Thu 06-Mar-14 08:26:32

My ds had the start of this under his armpits. I have been making sure I give it a good wash in the bath. I find my fingers get places a cloth can't. And then I dry him off and apply a thin layer of sudacream. It's lovely and dry now.

Mogz Thu 06-Mar-14 12:32:23

A barrier cream like frouby suggests sounds like a great idea, you can probably use whatever you're using as nappy cream.

IamTotallyUnreasonableOk Thu 06-Mar-14 12:38:46

Oh this happened with my DS! I took him to the health visitor and she gave me a tube of Dermol which cleared it right up! Magic stuff!

Almostfifty Thu 06-Mar-14 13:10:40

Another yes to Sudocrem. Works quickly.

MrsHowardRoark Thu 06-Mar-14 13:12:05

We had this and found a cotton bud is perfect for cleaning up the gunk.

Sunshine200 Thu 06-Mar-14 13:14:28

Mine has this, it's yucky when you discover it, mine is sometimes sick which goes under her neck and I don't notice. Sudocream works a treat for me.

ruthsmumkath Thu 06-Mar-14 13:16:51

I like the liquid talc for such folds! I used avent but had to make do with Mothercare last time.

It has always helped with my little ones.

Failing that Vaseline is a miracle worker.

Kathryn

FrankUnderwood Thu 06-Mar-14 13:59:11

Dermol or Sudocrem will work. Powder just turns sticky and grim.

wolfgirl83 Thu 06-Mar-14 19:10:31

Ok will have a go with sudocrem, I guess I was just worried about putting any lotions and potions in there given lack of air, but sounds like that's a safe bet. Thanks guys! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now