Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Ds1 has burnt his finger - A&E?

(14 Posts)
Cockadoodledooo Tue 04-Mar-14 18:47:10

He wanted to toss a pancake. Had done so earlier on with no problems and is pretty handy around the kitchen usually, but this time, for reasons best known to himself, he slid one hand right up the handle and managed to burn his finger on the body of the pan where it joins the handle.

Put the pan down and run under cold water immediately for just over 10 mins. He ate another 2 pancakes with it wrapped ib wet tissue then ran it under the tap again. It's v small I guess but white and raised.

Dh thinks it'll be ok now but I'm not sure if he needs to see a medic?

Cockadoodledooo Tue 04-Mar-14 18:48:18

He's 10 btw. Thought I'd said but clearly need to work on my proofreading blush

LEMmingaround Tue 04-Mar-14 18:50:08

Keeping it clean is most important. Lots of cold water. Once pain stops put some honey on it. If its just one finger prob doesnt need a&e

17leftfeet Tue 04-Mar-14 18:50:55

May be a bit out of date but when I did my first aid we were told burns bigger than a 50p needed medical attention so personally I would just try and keep an eye on it at home

Laska42 Tue 04-Mar-14 18:51:23

I did that when I was a child . but several fingers have never forgotten it .
I doesnt sound bad enough for A&E but only you know .. ring NHS helpline , they wil advise

MooseBeTimeForSnow Tue 04-Mar-14 18:53:52

It is has blistered please don't pop it. Keep it clean and dry. Give him pain relief if he feels he needs it. Honey, potato or other old wives tales should be avoided.

peggyundercrackers Tue 04-Mar-14 18:54:12

I don't think it sounds bad enough for a trip to a&e - maybe go to a chemist tomorrow if you want advice?

MissMilbanke Tue 04-Mar-14 18:55:56

I've been there and done that

I keep a jar of lavender oil in the kitchen for things like that. As long as the skin is intact it works like a miracle.

Martorana Tue 04-Mar-14 18:58:34

How big is the white raised bit and is it still hurting?

LEMmingaround Tue 04-Mar-14 19:02:08

I dont know about potato but honey is not an old wives tale. I was advised by a&e doctor to put hobey on dd1 burnt hand (once it started healing NOT straight away obviously). Honey isa nstural antiseptic.

gamerchick Tue 04-Mar-14 19:02:45

Germoline a bit of cling film and a plaster to keep the air off it for 24 hours. Then germoline and a plaster during the day and take off at night until it's stopped hurting is all I do.

LEMmingaround Tue 04-Mar-14 19:03:40

Love the smell of germolene.

Cockadoodledooo Tue 04-Mar-14 19:09:17

Nowhere near as big as a 50p, if anything slightly smaller than a 5p.. I'm still pfb even though he's 10 blush

Dh has dressed it (fil spent years in St Johns/as a paramedic so Dh well versed in first aid!) and ds says it feels ok. He's had some paracetamol though not long after he first did it because he said then that it hurt a lot (vaguely recall from my first aid training that that's a good sign?).

Thanks all for the assurances. Will keep an eye and take him to the chemist tomorrow if it worsens.

CocktailQueen Tue 04-Mar-14 19:16:32

I think you're fine keeping an eye on it at home. I organise first aid courses for the NCT and the paramedic running them said burns bigger than the palm of the patient's hand should always be seen by a GP/A&E.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now