Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

9mo with norovirus

(23 Posts)
WhatAFunnyPotato Mon 03-Mar-14 19:55:21

My 9 month old DD has caught the blooming norovirus bug from me (I was ill over the weekend). Bless her, she can't keep anything down and has been quite violently sick 5 times since 4pm. I'm offering boob frequently and have been giving syringes of water, but is there anything else I can do?

She seems generally ok, but was having bouts of whimpering and seeming a bit...off-ish and quiet.

JiltedJohnsJulie Mon 03-Mar-14 20:06:11

Sorry to hear that. Don't think there is any need to offer the water as long as she can nurse when she wants to. Does she have a raised temperature?

WhatAFunnyPotato Mon 03-Mar-14 20:35:14

No raised temperature - if anything it's on the low side (around 35.8; she's normally around 36.5).

Just threw up her last BF ad back down to sleep. Should I be waking her to offer boob in the night, or just keep an eye on her and let her have it if/when she wants it?

CitrusyOne Mon 03-Mar-14 20:41:08

I'd let her sleep but offer her boob every couple of hours when she's awake. Offer boob if she does wake in the night. Dd had this at about 10 months. We had a couple of days of breast milk only before reintroducing bland solids bit by bit. She really suffered, was sick for about 5 days. She picked it up again at about 15 months though and it was far more short lived. Keep her lying on old towels- easy to wash when she throws up.

Hope she's better soon. X

TheJumped Mon 03-Mar-14 20:43:17

Hope she gets over it quickly, it's horrible when little ones are poorly.

Please do keep giving syringes of water though - dehydration is the one thing to look out for and even ebf babies need water at 9mo, especially during a bug.

Martorana Mon 03-Mar-14 20:45:39

Make a spray bottle of dilute bleach to wipe things down with- things like dettox don't work on noro. Don't forget door handles.

I'd be wary of offering water - you want her to have as much breast milk as possible, if she's not keen on taking much it needs to be milk not water.

Hope she's better soon-and you get some sleep!

girliefriend Mon 03-Mar-14 20:47:04

My dd had this when she was about 14months and was so ill sad

She had a very high temp with it as well and diarrhoea, it was grim. The G.P did a px for some diarrlite which is for when they start getting dehydrated.

Def let her sleep but keep a close eye and if you are worried about dehydration speak to G.P, am guessing the clue will be in wet nappies.

WhatAFunnyPotato Mon 03-Mar-14 20:49:24

Thanks all. Poor wee tyke. Weird though, as a May baby she was one of the first to get the rotavirus vaccine. I thought that would've given her immunity, or am I wrong?

Highlandbird Mon 03-Mar-14 20:50:35

DS had this last month at 9 months, sympathies. We were told sips of water regularly to keep him hydrated, he vomited everything up for three days hmm also little and often as he would be thirsty and bf too much then sick it up, better to offer more frequently and small amounts. I had to express to keep my supply up as well. Lots of towels to hand through the house to catch sick, I co slept with towels / spare sheets under us which I could quickly change when he was sick.
Bland food for few days when back to solids, porridge, toast etc.
Hope she is better soon thanks

Highlandbird Mon 03-Mar-14 20:51:52

DS had this last month at 9 months, sympathies. We were told sips of water regularly to keep him hydrated, he vomited everything up for three days hmm also little and often as he would be thirsty and bf too much then sick it up, better to offer more frequently and small amounts. I had to express to keep my supply up as well. Lots of towels to hand through the house to catch sick, I co slept with towels / spare sheets under us which I could quickly change when he was sick.

Highlandbird Mon 03-Mar-14 20:52:22

Highlandbird Mon 03-Mar-14 20:52:33

Highlandbird Mon 03-Mar-14 20:53:05

Highlandbird Mon 03-Mar-14 20:53:20

Highlandbird Mon 03-Mar-14 20:53:50

Highlandbird Mon 03-Mar-14 21:13:26

Oops! Sorry blush

Madcat22 Mon 03-Mar-14 21:19:33

DS had this at 12 months and was in hospital. They told us to give him 5ml of diluted cordial every five minutes which we gradually increased to 10 ml every five minutes if he kept it down. Less likely to sick up this way than in bigger quantities and the sugar in the cordial kept his blood sugar up given sickness and not eating. I'm sure breast milk would be good in small but regular bursts although wonder given the soothing quality of breast feeding how viable it would be to give a baby very small amounts regularly and keep taking her off the boob, especially if she is poorly and needs comforting.

Twighlightsparkle Mon 03-Mar-14 21:33:37

Poor thing.

I'd avoid boob if you can, or if you can't. Don't eat any dairy as dairy makes the bug

BeaWheesht Tue 04-Mar-14 10:25:00

Don't avoid breast feeding.

Keep an eye on her nappies and if they are much dryer than normal or if she has a dry mouth / sunken soft spot / dry eyes or seems lethargic then seek medical advice.

BeaWheesht Tue 04-Mar-14 10:26:34

Also you will have developed antibodies when you had the bug which will pass through to her in BM

WhatAFunnyPotato Tue 04-Mar-14 10:40:59

Thanks. Been continuing the BF just instinctively really - something so good can't be bad, I reckon... She's brought up every feed almost instantly until this morning and has now gone back down for a nap.

Nappies are def much drier than normal, but she seems to be keeping fluid down now so I'll watch carefully for signs of dehydration. Have some dioralyte handy just in case.

JiltedJohnsJulie Tue 04-Mar-14 12:22:21

Don't bother with dioralyte, BM is so much better, have a look here smile

Please don't avoid bfing or eating dairy either.

TheUnstoppableWindmill Tue 04-Mar-14 12:32:24

DS also had this at 9mo and got dehydrated. We were told to syringe water/diarolyte when he was throwing up BM, but once he could keep milk down we just did lots of BF. in the day I let him snooze on me while BFing. It's horrid, but it's great that she doesn't have a terrible temperature. DS was very poorly for just under 2 days then took about a week to fully recover- during that time was mostly fine but occasionally threw up. We reintroduced solids gradually again, and as far as possible kept offering lots of BFs. Good luck- I hope she recovers very soon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now