Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

I am beginning to think DS (9) has asthma - what do I need to know?

(4 Posts)
nicename Mon 03-Mar-14 12:33:01

He has been dry coughing like a good 'un for weeks now. The doctor has put him on some antibiotics and suggested that if this doesn't help the next step is to try an inhaler.

The more I read Dr Google (I know, I know!) the more I wonder if it could be ashma.

What can I try now to help him? I suppose the main problems are dust, dry air in his bedroom, air fresheners, aerosols... Is there anything he needs to be eating/cutting out, supplements, etc?

MrsSquirrel Mon 03-Mar-14 14:03:41

If it is asthma, the best bet is to work out what his triggers are and then help him to try and avoid them. Triggers vary from person to person and it's not always easy to work out what they are.

Forget Dr Google and have a look at the Asthma UK web site.

nicename Mon 03-Mar-14 15:20:00

Can it be a 'time of day' thing. It is worse mornings and evenings.

MrsSquirrel Mon 03-Mar-14 15:50:55

It could be that the 'time of day' thing is related to a trigger. For me, it used to be that I felt worse first thing in the morning and in the evenings. My triggers include dust and dust mites and when I got rid of the carpets in my bedroom, my symptoms improved. It wasn't the time per se that was the issue, just that those were the times I was more likely to be in the bedroom.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now