Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Should I be worried about constant dribbling?

(5 Posts)
MeanAndMeaslyMiddleAges Sun 02-Mar-14 17:59:33

My ds is 23 months and dribbles a lot! He finished teething at 18 months so I know hat's not it - but when he's ill it's uncontrollable. He had a cold recently and it finished about a week ago, and he seems to have a mild sore throat and cough, bland the drool is pouring out of his mouth to the extent that last night we had to change his sheets three times within an hour of him going to bed because he'd dribbled so much they were soaking. Today he has had 6 bibs, which are saturated within half an hour, as are his clothes. Constantly finding pools of dribble everywhere. It's not quite this bad when he's in full health but, even so, it seems excessive.

He was born with an extremely severe dual tongue tie - the bottom jaw one was snipped at 2 days, the upper jaw one can't be snipped. He has a dummy but limited use - it is better when he doesn't have a dummy, but not drastically so. He also still mostly drinks from bottles - he can drink from sippy cups but will only drink milk from a bottle and he drinks milk about 80% of the time. I guess these are all contributing factors, but I'm also wondering how much I should be worried.

apermanentheadache Sun 02-Mar-14 18:03:35

I got about half-way through your post and was thinking 'tongue tie' and then you said he had it.... could it have re-attached?

apermanentheadache Sun 02-Mar-14 20:31:24

Sorry: had to run off and have my tea! My son had TT too and he was the most awful dribbler and still is when he has a cold. His father was also a drooler extraordinaire when he was a toddler.

No answers for you, just soggy-clothed sympathy grin

MeanAndMeaslyMiddleAges Sun 02-Mar-14 20:55:15

Soggy clothed sympathy I'll take! Interesting that it could be tongue tie related - his lower one definitely is fine now but his upper one will always be there because it's essentially his gum. It has got worse lately though.

mawbroon Sun 02-Mar-14 22:38:25

Are you talking about a lip tie when you say upper one? Lip ties can be treated. There are a couple of dentists in the UK who you can see privately who will laser a lip tie if appropriate.

Was the tongue tie an anterior one? Sometimes an anterior (obvious) tie can be revised, but there still be a posterior one restricting movement at the back of the tongue which can be missed.

DS1 had almost every problem under the sun that can be caused by tongue tie, but dribbling wasn't one of them!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now