Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Daughter complaining of sore tummy could this be her monthlys starting

(33 Posts)
Mitsi10 Sat 01-Mar-14 20:31:09

Last month my dd was sent home as she was complaining of a sore tummy
Now she's complaining again leading me to think she's about to start her monthlys
She's been ok all week expect for having a cold and been fine all day just started moaning there

She's 10 so could this pain be her changing as this is my first child and I know all girls start at different times

ilovepowerhoop Sat 01-Mar-14 20:36:52

has she had any other signs of puberty e.g. breast buds, pubic/underarm hair, etc as that normally starts before periods arrive

IDontDoIroning Sat 01-Mar-14 20:38:14

Monthlys ?

ilovepowerhoop Sat 01-Mar-14 20:39:23

very quaint term for periods I think

Mitsi10 Sat 01-Mar-14 20:39:27

She is starting to develop breasts but no hair yet

IDontDoIroning Sat 01-Mar-14 20:42:35

Yes ilovepowerhoop I just don't know many people younger than my nan who use the terminology.

Mitsi10 Sat 01-Mar-14 20:44:46

And ? Point is

YoureBeingASillyBilly Sat 01-Mar-14 20:45:20

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Flopsygrowsup Sat 01-Mar-14 20:47:05

Well they're actually called menses and monthlys is no differently coy nor is auntie flo -a Mn favourite

FabBakerGirl Sat 01-Mar-14 20:47:33

Does it really matter what she has decided to call them on here? Stop being petty for the sake of it.

YoureBeingASillyBilly Sat 01-Mar-14 20:49:04

Oh auntie flo- hate that too.

Mitsi10 Sat 01-Mar-14 20:52:09

Was being polite ok I'll go else where for advice where your not judged on what you call things

ilovepowerhoop Sat 01-Mar-14 20:53:35

www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Puberty/Pages/Symptoms.aspx - gives the different stages of puberty (my dd is 10 so is starting to develop as well)

HellonHeels Sat 01-Mar-14 20:54:26

What's wrong with saying "monthlies" - FGS is that really important? Any other words we're not allowed to use?

ilovepowerhoop Sat 01-Mar-14 20:56:08

silly to quibble about the wording when people just want info/advice

Floggingmolly Sat 01-Mar-14 20:56:39

They're not called periods by everyone, don't be such a nit picker.

YoureBeingASillyBilly Sat 01-Mar-14 21:00:06

<sigh>

Monthlies/monthlys IME is used by people who get all embarassed by using the word periods. There's no need for that. Just call them periods.

Casmama Sat 01-Mar-14 21:00:34

Tbh it will soon be clear if she is getting her periods or not by whether she starts to bleed. People on here speculating is not going to get you any closer to an answer than you already are.
Was there something else you were hoping for from this thread?

YoureBeingASillyBilly Sat 01-Mar-14 21:00:58

Should say monthlies and all the other ridiculous variations.

Mrswellyboot Sat 01-Mar-14 21:03:55

I would just keep an eye on her OP and make sure she has some pads and fresh underwear in her school bag. Not really much else you can do once she is aware of her body and all the changes. It might well be.

FabBakerGirl Sat 01-Mar-14 21:03:55

ilovepowerhoop - thank you for posting that link, it was very helpful.

IDontDoIroning Sat 01-Mar-14 21:04:52

Ok sorry to offend anyone but it just seems very coy seeming as you might be expecting mums to disclose a lot of information regarding their own daughters bodily development.

WhoWasThatMaskedWoman Sat 01-Mar-14 21:06:38

Might be, might not. Make sure you always have pads in the house and chat to her/get her a copy of Usborne's "What's Happening To Me" (pink version) if you think she might need clarifying on any the details in advance. Even if it's a few more years yet it's better to be safe than sorry.

Queeze Sat 01-Mar-14 21:06:49

For me, period pain is quite distinguishable from any other type of pain. Get her to describe how it feels and ask her if it is different to how she's felt before. Will she understand what is happening to her if it does start? No one told me, my mum just gave me a book so when my first period came I was too frightened to say. In fact, I never did say and just dealt with it myself every month! You sound like you're a little more on the ball though smile

MrsDeVere Sat 01-Mar-14 21:08:43

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now