Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

huge tonsils but feeling well

(16 Posts)
plusonemore Fri 28-Feb-14 19:46:55

ds1 (8yrs) has always had fairly big tonsils and a lumpy neck but today they are huge- half a centimetre off touching? Also when he lifts his head you can see a big lump on the front left side of his neck which feels hard and olive sized. He feels well, although he has been swallowing alot and ive noticed his voice sounds differnt over last week or so. Does this need checking out? Thanks smile

BetterThanASlaterUpYourNose Fri 28-Feb-14 20:10:38

Have you checked his temperature? Do his tonsils have spots on them at all?

I would get him checked out and would be phoning NHS direct tonight.

plusonemore Fri 28-Feb-14 20:22:45

no temperature, tonsils look blotchy red and white but not spotty. Am worrying lump in neck is something more serious now...

BetterThanASlaterUpYourNose Fri 28-Feb-14 20:29:12

It's probably just an enlarged gland and if his tonsils are blotchy red and white they sound infected.

I think it needs looked at for sure as it sounds like it could be a quinsy

I'm surprised he feels ok as anytime I've had tonsillitis I've felt horrendous.

Give NHS direct a call now and put your mind at rest. I'm sure he will be fine. smile

plusonemore Fri 28-Feb-14 20:39:00

thank you x

BetterThanASlaterUpYourNose Fri 28-Feb-14 20:39:48

flowers

BetterThanASlaterUpYourNose Fri 28-Feb-14 21:22:57

Did you call? Just wondering what they said. smile

plusonemore Fri 28-Feb-14 21:26:43

decided not to call tonight but I am gonna get appointment on monday. Feel a bit silly as he is otherwise well!

BetterThanASlaterUpYourNose Fri 28-Feb-14 21:35:19

I appreciate he's well but I personally wouldn't leave it. He will most likely spike a temp at some point.

Monday, in my opinion, is too far away. Maybe seek advice tomorrow if you're really not phoning for advice tonight.

When he's sleeping is he snoring or sounding as if his airway is occluded at all?

plusonemore Fri 28-Feb-14 22:02:53

no, no snoring or noisy breathing, will def keep an eye. thanks for your concern smile

MigGril Fri 28-Feb-14 22:15:28

I recently had a throat infection possibly tonsilitus. all I had to start with where enlarged tonsils. I went to the doctors and have needed 3 courses of antibiotics. After the second lot I left it thinking it was a lot better, felt a lot worse then I ever did initially.

I guess what I'm saying it's get it checked proto, he could be feeling rather ill by Monday. oddly it didn't hurt that much to start with. and I've had tonsilties before and know how painful it should be. I almost didn't go to the doctors to start with didn't think I was ill enough.

BetterThanASlaterUpYourNose Sat 01-Mar-14 08:10:16

How is the patient this morning? wink

plusonemore Sat 01-Mar-14 12:12:49

well he's played his football match, not quite himself and saying his throat hurts...

BetterThanASlaterUpYourNose Sat 01-Mar-14 17:48:06

How is he now? Has his temp gone up yet?

plusonemore Sat 01-Mar-14 18:57:03

nope, still no temp and he says it doesn't hurt anymore. Lump still there

plusonemore Mon 03-Mar-14 16:30:34

been to docs, huge tonsils and lump in lymph nodes, need to keep an eye doesn't get any bigger but otherwise fine!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now