Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Baby with swollen bloated arm(s)

(21 Posts)
Driveway Fri 28-Feb-14 18:55:40

I don't know if I'm imagining it, but I think my DS has sort of swollen arm, and especially around his wrist. His hand looks kind of pumped up. The other arm might be a bit fatter too.
He has had diarrhoea and a fever, and a red rash - a big red patch, not spots.
I guess it's a generic virus, but is this arm thing anything to worry about? I've not heard of it before I don't think. He's not injured it as far as I know (I'm pretty sure he hasn't!), he is using it normally. It looks like... water retention when you're pregnant? He's ten months old.

Any ideas? It seems odd!

PseudoBadger Fri 28-Feb-14 18:57:59

What did the doctor say?

stayathomegardener Fri 28-Feb-14 19:07:25

Ring NHS direct.
I think I would be worried and you know your DS best.

Driveway Fri 28-Feb-14 19:09:16

I've only noticed it this evening. Doing dinner and bath then bed for everyone so I thought I'd ask here, as it isn't an emergency.
I will probably call 111 later once they are all asleep.

Driveway Fri 28-Feb-14 19:11:12

Well I don't think its an emergency, he is Ok. I mean he isn't crying, doesn't seem to be in any pain.

BetterThanASlaterUpYourNose Fri 28-Feb-14 20:03:07

I think you should phone NHS direct. The fact he has a fever, diarrhoea etc as well as this swelling would make me call definitely and I'm a nurse.

Better to call and put your mind at rest than wait and regret it.

It's never worth taking risks with a baby's health.

Driveway Fri 28-Feb-14 20:29:48

Ok thanks. Calling NHS Direct now to see what they think.

BetterThanASlaterUpYourNose Fri 28-Feb-14 20:30:31

Can't do any harm to check smile

stayathomegardener Fri 28-Feb-14 21:19:35

Any update?

Hawkmoth Fri 28-Feb-14 21:22:50

Hope he's ok OP.

Jessdurberville Fri 28-Feb-14 21:24:08

Urticaria , it's a form of hives with swelling of wrists, knuckles etc. my ds had this - nothing to worry sbout

TimeIsAnIllusion Fri 28-Feb-14 21:40:05

Symptoms described could be an allergy.

Driveway Fri 28-Feb-14 22:38:26

Dr wanted to see him so we are at the out of hours now. He's fine in himself!

BetterThanASlaterUpYourNose Fri 28-Feb-14 22:45:49

Good good. Keep us posted.

QOD Fri 28-Feb-14 22:48:52

Sounds odd? Hope he's ok

ZombiesAreClammyDodgers Fri 28-Feb-14 22:54:42

Following.

breatheslowly Fri 28-Feb-14 22:57:20

I hope he's ok. I panicked myself when DD was a baby and was poorly. She was sick and we were cleaning her up when I noticed that her arm looked blue. I was terrified that I had broken it while cleaning her up. DH eventually pointed out that she was a bit cold. She was fine. I hope it's something like that for you, but much better to get it checked out and put your mind at rest.

Driveway Sat 01-Mar-14 00:05:01

Well, Dr said there weren't any signs of a blood clot or anything so I was ok to just keep an eye on him at home, but if it's still the same in the morning, take him to A and E because it's a bit unusual. Not sure if that's reassuring or not! Anyway, bed!

BetterThanASlaterUpYourNose Sat 01-Mar-14 07:13:20

My first thought was something circulatory too. Hopefully it will be nothing though.

Hope you all got some sleep and he wakes up right as rain this morning. smile

DaleyBump Sat 01-Mar-14 11:42:44

How is he this morning?

Driveway Sun 02-Mar-14 09:01:43

Oh hello! Sorry I didn't come back. In the morning his arm looked much better. Maybe a bit swollen but practically imperceptible. So I didn't go to a and e and today again it is completely normal and he seems fine.
Weird!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now