Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Can anxiety cause..

(9 Posts)
NewShoesForMe Fri 28-Feb-14 16:38:09

... Tummy pains in children?

If you knew a child who was having chronic tummy pain investigated, but every test had drawn a blank, but you also knew this child was not making friends at their new school, would you tell the parents? Child is in year 8, btw.

LastingLight Fri 28-Feb-14 17:07:56

I definitely think anxiety could be a cause of stomach ache. Is there any reason not to tell the parents?

VeryStressedMum Fri 28-Feb-14 17:14:26

Most definitely can cause stomach aches. They may be because of anxiety rather than a sickness/medical condition but the pains are real.
Who is this child to you and why would you not tell the parents?

NewShoesForMe Fri 28-Feb-14 17:48:08

Our dc know each other out of school through a sports club. I know the parents very vaguely. I don't want to say too much, but there is a reason why I am not the ideal person to broach this with them. I guess I want to really sure I'm doing the right thing before getting shot as messenger.

Also I have reason to believe they think that friendships are ok, so I'd be contradicting what they think to be the case. I'm probably just feeling cowardly, which can cloud judgement.

NewShoesForMe Fri 28-Feb-14 17:50:00

Btw my dc is trying to be a good friend but they are not in the same class so it's hard.

ToffeeWhirl Fri 28-Feb-14 17:59:26

Yes, it absolutely can be. My DS1 suffers chronic anxiety and it often causes excruciating stomach pains.

NewShoesForMe Fri 28-Feb-14 18:02:47

What should I do? What should I say?

LastingLight Fri 28-Feb-14 18:04:16

It's a difficult one. You don't want to poke your nose in where it isn't wanted, but someone should speak up for the child. Is there a counselor at the school that you could speak to?

NewShoesForMe Fri 28-Feb-14 18:05:58

I don't think that would be a good idea, lasting. Thanks though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now