Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Cost of orthodontic treatment

(4 Posts)
papalazaru Fri 28-Feb-14 15:19:30

We've seen two private orthodontists about my DS's teeth, which aren't too badly crooked so we have to pay for it ourselves. Ortho 1 quoted £5k so we got a second opinion from ortho 2 which is around £4k. I've spoken to a couple of friends who have both paid ~£2.5k for their kids' treatment.

Do I go for a third opinion now to see if the cost will come down or is it a bit like comparing apples and oranges? Obviously the orthodontists are experts and know their treatment plans. Maybe it's just what you pay in SW London.....?

Help!

isisisis Fri 28-Feb-14 15:59:43

It's apples & oranges. Even simple treatment varies immensely. Obviously, price is important but I'd also consider the person providing the treatment. You'll be seeing them very regularly for 18months+ so it's important you like/trust them. Treatment will be more expensive if being provided fully by the orthodontist rather than just overseen & provided by an assistant (who would still be a qualified dentist, but not an orthodontist).
I'd also consider location & availability of appointments, any saving can quickly be cancelled out if you're having to travel/take regular time off work.
Finally, more cosmetic style braces are more expensive eg ceramic brackets rather than the usual metal.
£4000-5000 doesn't sound to far of the mark to me, particularly in the south.

papalazaru Sun 02-Mar-14 16:50:24

Thx. I'm going for one more consultation to see how that comes in.......

Earlybird Sun 02-Mar-14 16:52:15

Sounds about right. That is approximately what dd's treatment cost.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now