Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Some help and advice on blood test results please

(6 Posts)
claw2 Fri 21-Feb-14 18:05:12

Ds has a history of being severely anaemic. He has ASD and an extremely limited diet. It has always been assumed that his anaemia is due to this.

However, recently he has been very tired, complaining of feeling sick and headaches, stomach ache, looking very drained, tiring easily, complaining of pains in his legs etc.

I took him for a blood test at the hospital. When I phoned up for his results on Monday, I was told by receptionist that the hospital had written I needed to make an appointment with my GP regarding the results.

I went to see GP today. She told me blood test results were 'fine'. So I asked why I was asked to make an appointment to discuss results, if they were fine. She got results up on her screen and the following were highlighted in red

Serum gamma-glutamyl transferase level - low
Serum alanine aminotransferase level - low
Mean corpusc haemoglobin (MCH) - low

She told me the top two levels were 'liver function' but 'fine' and 'I shouldn't worry'. Bottom level means that ds is not anaemic.

So why would the hospital request at the bottom of these results that I need to make an appointment with GP about results, if everything is 'fine'? Surely the whole point of making an appointment was that everything was not fine?

Lonecatwithkitten Fri 21-Feb-14 20:01:50

MCH is the amount of haemoglobin in the red blood cells and is sometimes described as a monochromic anaemia, right number of red blood cells not enough haemoglobin.
The other two are liver enzymes normally concerns occur when they are high, however, low levels can suggest non-liver illness, but should be interpreted along with other results and clinical examination.

claw2 Fri 21-Feb-14 21:45:17

Thank you very much for your reply Lonecat. I am very wary of my GP, as they have misread previous results and told me ds was not anaemic. It was only when a dietician read the same results, the fact that ds was severely anaemic was picked up.

Ds had a full blood count with the exception of glucose (as same GP did not tell us he was not suppose to eat or drink prior)

I have a print out of the results as I wasn't happy with everything is 'fine'. Where can I get a second opinion?

I would have thought my GP would follow this up in some way, rather than dismissing it as 'fine' when the hospital has highlighted it in red for the GP's attention and included a footnote that an appointment should be made with GP regard results.

claw2 Fri 21-Feb-14 22:13:13

I am confused about the results and my GP hasn't helped to make things any clearer.

When I questioned why the MCH was written in red (as I recognised this as being related to anaemia) She told me that ds was not anaemic as his ferritin level wasn't low.

Is it possible to have a normal ferritin level and still be anaemic if the MCH is low?

Lonecatwithkitten Fri 21-Feb-14 22:38:18

There are various different types of anaemia. I would suggest trying to see another GP.

claw2 Fri 21-Feb-14 22:52:39

Thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now