Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Soothing the itch of thread worms

(13 Posts)
NuzzleandScratch Wed 19-Feb-14 23:49:40

Please help, dd age 4 has woken up sobbing, I thought she had thread worms yesterday, so gave her the tablet, but she's being driven mad by the itching. I can see 3 or 4 worms near her anus, it's making me feel ill, do I attempt to remove them? Please can someone give me practical advice, I'm in too much of a flap to read old threads about this. I also took a tablet yesterday, but don't have them, to my knowledge. We have another dd who's 18 months. Dd1 always wears knickers in bed, but is a thumb sucker, which I know doesn't help.

Waltonswatcher1 Wed 19-Feb-14 23:53:10

Put a cold flannel down 'there',that will ease the itching . Yes they need washing off .
She may pass a lot of them in a ball-my son did and it was gruesome !
Poor wee thing.

ThatBloodyWoman Wed 19-Feb-14 23:56:39

I would wipe them off.

They should all be gone by tomorrow.

Remember to re-treat.

Poor dd sad

snozzlemaid Thu 20-Feb-14 00:01:06

When ds was little and had them I wiped his bottom clean then applied some sudocrem. Seemed to stop the irritation, until you can get something from chemist tomorrow.

NuzzleandScratch Thu 20-Feb-14 00:05:57

Thanks, there was no way I was leaving the little buggers there angry
I sat her on the toilet and wiped them off with cotton wool pads, which I've flushed (I know you're not meant to flush cotton wool, but sod it). I've washed hers and my hands & nails thoroughly. I also applied some Sudocrem with a cotton wool pad. What do you mean about retreating? This is all new to me. Do I need to go on some mad cleaning spree tomorrow? What about her clothes & bedding? She always sleeps with knickers on, so won't have scratched her bare bottom. Is dd2 likely to catch them?! This is so disgusting.

Middleagedmotheroftwo Thu 20-Feb-14 00:06:59

Sit her in a warm bath of salty water. That'll sooth her and do for the worms.

NuzzleandScratch Thu 20-Feb-14 00:07:58

Thanks snozzle, only just read your post, so hopefully I did right with the Sudocrem!

ThatBloodyWoman Thu 20-Feb-14 00:11:03

I'm not sure about the specifics, butvit'll tell you on the pack.

Something like it killing the adult worms but not the eggs so you have to re-treat after a set period to kill the hatched ones so the cycle doesn't begin again.

Hot wash bedding, and a onesie would be a good idea to stop scratching in the night.

Good hygiene and short nails.

Not a big deal, but the itching is horrible for then.

NuzzleandScratch Thu 20-Feb-14 00:15:49

Thank you very much for the advice. She's calmed down and is nodding off now. Will certainly hot wash the bedding tomorrow and wipe down all surfaces. Online info from Bupa has scared me, it says to vacuum & damp dust the whole house?! (I do have a reasonably clean house anyway, I thought!)

ThatBloodyWoman Thu 20-Feb-14 00:17:15

You can if you want, but I didn't and we still got rid with no problems....smile

NuzzleandScratch Thu 20-Feb-14 00:23:30

Thanks, that's good to know! I'm having visions of invisible eggs all over my house, hopefully not quite the casesmile

Elibean Fri 21-Feb-14 09:48:31

I would just do the bedding, towels and all underwear/PJs etc - and hoover around dd's bed and play areas, and clean the bathroom/loos. Worth putting cuddlies in washing machine too, if they're in bed with her.

Then re-treat dd in whatever it says on the packet - ie more worm medicine in 2 weeks exactly. And all the rest of you too, of course.

Keep her nails short, lots of hand washing, and change pants and PJs daily for a couple of days more...but damp dusting? No. Quick wipe around dd's bed and clean the bathroom.

Though I admit to slight paranoia re worms, and having read that Ovex is barely taken up into the body's bloodstream (it stays mainly in the gut) and is very safe, I have re-treated after a week and after two weeks on the grounds that you can never over-kill a worm angryblush

NuzzleandScratch Fri 21-Feb-14 10:49:38

Thanks Elibean, feeling rather paranoid about worms at the moment too! I think I've done everything you suggest, I hot washed all her bedding, towels, flannel & knickers, vacuumed whole house, & Dettol wiped all surfaces in her room & other areas she plays. She only really has one toy on bed, which I Dysoned to within an inch of its life, almost disappeared up the hose! I've got a prescription to treat our 18 month old, although I don't think she's got them, and dh and I have taken the tablet. When I took dd1 for a late night wee last night, I had a good look & couldn't see any worms, so fingers crossed the current lot have been killed! Horrible business!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now