Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Please help! Ten week old has been projectile vomiting for 10 days - doctors say it's viral gastroenteritis.

(19 Posts)
1000mabel Mon 17-Feb-14 21:31:37

Hello, am new here and I've joined because I am close to wits' end....my poor LO has basically not been well since the 8 week vaccinations. It started with a fever, then he immediately seemed to come down with a cold, then projectile vomiting started. There's been some diarrhoea but not huge amounts (eg no dirty nappy today). We've been to A&E and the GPs several times and they say it's viral gastroenteritis. We have been following their advice of feeding 10ml breast milk (or dioralyte if he throws up a lot) every 10 mins when he's awake. He tolerates this and the doctors say he "observes well" i.e. isn't too dehydrated and that we just have to let it run its course. But I can't BF him for even a couple of minutes without him vomiting it all and I'm not sure how much more I can take, particularly when I'm at home alone during the day and I have to try to pump at the same time (and I'm scared my milk's drying up as I'm getting less and less each time). Has anyone had this go on for this long in such a young baby? What about changing my diet or using Colief? All doctors have told me not to bother avoiding dairy. Help, advice, support...anything gratefully received. Thank you.

JiltedJohnsJulie Mon 17-Feb-14 21:45:57

Welcome to MN thanks. So sorry your Lo is like this, it must be so distressing.

Please call one of the Bfing Helplines, think the NCT one is open until 10pm.

Have a read of this too smile

1000mabel Mon 17-Feb-14 22:34:01

Thanks so much JiltedJohnsJulie. You're right, it's miserable and it seems like it's been going on forever. He just can't tolerate anything other than tiny quantities of milk.

The kellymom website is really helpful, particularly on the secondary lactose/ dairy intolerance issue which I haven't been able to get much coherent information on.

I missed the BF helpline but will try tomorrow.

JiltedJohnsJulie Mon 17-Feb-14 22:38:04

Is there a Bfing Support Group you can get to?

PiggyMalone Mon 17-Feb-14 22:44:43

Ask your health visitor to come and observe the feeds and the vomiting. If it is happening so frequently then it could be pyloric stenosis.

Elderberri Mon 17-Feb-14 23:12:08

Could it be a reaction to rotavirus vaccine.

surfmama Mon 17-Feb-14 23:23:27

oh that's horrid for you both. may be a long shot but you could try cutting dairy out of your diet for a wee while? it could help...but I am not medical. I would also seek homeopathic help as it has never let me down. poor you and bubba

1000mabel Tue 18-Feb-14 08:00:39

Thanks all. I asked the GP about the rotavirus vaccine and she said she didn't think it was that. Personally I think the vaccines overloaded his immune system and made him vulnerable to other nasties (I had a cold at the time and asked the GP if we should wait for that to clear before vaccinating and she said it was fine to go ahead; next time I will insist on waiting).

I think they are now worried about pyloric stenosis as I've got an emergency referral appointment to the hospital paediatric department this morning. Hopefully I can update with better news later today.

Good thinking re health visitor, that hadn't occurred to me and I'll give it a go if the hospital isn't much help. I've cut out dairy but it sneaks in everywhere and apparently takes 2 weeks for the proteins to clear from your system!

Thanks again, really appreciate it.

surfmama Tue 18-Feb-14 14:18:36

6 weeks for proteins. ..in my experience! good luck

lollipoppi Tue 18-Feb-14 14:29:06

I would 2nd the pyloric stenosis, it occurs mostly in boys and starts around 8-10 weeks
Hope your appointment goes well

1000mabel Tue 18-Feb-14 17:32:44

Ok am a complete mumsnet convert now because you've all been so lovely. Thank you! Am feeling much better having seen the paediatric consultant. She was great. Reassuring (he doesn't have pyloric stenosis) but also realistic: it is horrible, it is likely to last several more weeks, he has lost a lot of weight, but he's doing well considering all that and isn't dehydrated and will catch up in terms of growth/ weight loss.

She got me off the feeding 10ml every 10 mins for my sanity as much as anything else and has introduced a bit of much needed normality: she said to BF him as much as he wants every 2 hours. No syringes or dioralyte. He's still puking a lot but is immediately happier. She advocated removing dairy from my diet which I've done anyway (said it should make a difference very quickly even if it takes a few weeks to clear completely) and said I could try Colief as he probably has become temporarily lactose intolerant.

If things get worse she said don't bother with GP but head straight to A&E or call her!

So: no major change in the baby's condition but I feel much more positive about it and like I will be able to cope.

Thanks again all x

JiltedJohnsJulie Tue 18-Feb-14 18:30:54

So glad you've are feeling better about it. Hadn't realise you were using dioralyte. Didn't think that was necessary with a bf baby.

1000mabel Tue 18-Feb-14 20:32:08

We were using it on the advice of A&E and 2 GPs despite our instinct. It made him so miserable but they told me we needed to clear his system to allow his gut to heal as the milk irritated it. The consultant looked pained when I told her this had been the advice we were given...

JiltedJohnsJulie Thu 20-Feb-14 12:36:21

Not surprised. That advice may be ok for a ff baby but is truly shocking for a bf baby.

Are you getting any RL support with bfing? Is there a group near to you?

nicky2512 Thu 20-Feb-14 12:44:37

Hi hopefully things will improve for you soon. A sick baby is hard work! I was just wondering if they ruled out pyloric stenosis by doing an ultrasound of his tummy? My ds had it and we constantly ran to doctors and a and e with him for over 2 weeks being told he def didn't have it. He did. If they didn't do an ultrasound and just told you it wasn't pyloric stenosis then its worth still bearing in mind if things dont soon improve. Hopefully he will start to get a lot better soon. Oh, and ds is now a big strong boy of 8.

Elderberri Thu 20-Feb-14 16:55:06

You should only vaccinate when DCs are well.

1000mabel Thu 20-Feb-14 18:01:46

The consultant just examined his abdomen, and said it was nice and soft so ruled out pyloric stenosis that way. Don't want to tempt fate but I think he's started to improve - producing more dirty nappies, smaller vomits and sooo much happier. Getting him weighed tomorrow to check.

No idea if it was passage of time, cutting out dairy, stopping dioralyte, using Colief to break down lactose or just providing him the comfort of proper BF which did the trick; probably all helped.

Now got to think about next set of vaccinations in 2 weeks...am considering asking to stagger the rotavirus as really don't want to overload his system again.

My area has really good BF support JJJ, I just haven't made use of it since the very early days. You think I should go back?

Thanks again all and glad your boy's grown big and strong Nicky!

surfmama Thu 20-Feb-14 23:42:59

hmmm do you think the rotavirus is a necessary one? just a thought. ..really hope it is a good improvement for you both

1000mabel Fri 21-Feb-14 14:45:27

Just had him weighed, although he's dropped 25 percentile points he's 100g heavier than he was on Tues. So a big relief!

I don't know about the rotavirus....I have 2 weeks to think about it and may postpone even if I do go ahead with it.

Thanks again all, I really appreciate the advice and support xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now