Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Newbie with 3 year old sweating and in pain at night

(14 Posts)
Normantheseagull Mon 17-Feb-14 21:26:04

I'd be grateful for any advice.
My 3 yr old has had a phlegmy cough for over a week although it is not continuous but comes in bouts (one of which brought up clear phlegm).

The thing that is worrying us is that she has for the last 4 nights and once last week woken about an hour to two hours after going to sleep drenched with sweat and with a high pitched whine. She isn't complaining of any pain and is her usual chirpy self during the day. Urine tested clear last Monday.
We are giving calprofen when she wakes and changing her clothes, keeping her room cool and calming with cuddles.
Two doctors have seen her on 3 occasions but couldn't find anything wrong - she was perfectly behaved and even took one of them a drawing - daytime child is very happy and normal!
Can anyone advise what we should do next - insist on blood test?? Feel a little bit fobbed off but can understand why as daytime child is presenting as pretty healthy looking!
Thanks

permaquandry Mon 17-Feb-14 21:32:11

Coughs are definitely worse at night, my six year old has had one for over a week and is only at night! Today is the first time there's been any coughing in the day.

one of my dc is a sweaty child anyway, but if this is abnormal in your dc, I would go back to your doc. It could just be a virus, sweating itself out? I guess to med professionals that statement might appear ludicrous, but when my eldest had one of their worst ear infections, they sweated at night over a period of a few nights and they never normally do.

Hope your little one is better soon but go back to docs if you think you are being fobbed off. thanks

permaquandry Mon 17-Feb-14 21:33:40

I'm wondering if it could be night terrors? I'm sure they happen around this age? Def check back with doc.

Normantheseagull Mon 17-Feb-14 21:44:06

Thank you so much for replying. I want to think that she's sweating an infection out but it's hard to hang on to that when you're in the middle of another night...

I hadn't thought of night terrors - I don't think it's that as I guess she would tell me that she was thinking something scary (she's pretty chatty in detail about everything!)

Back to the docs tomorrow then!!

Paloma12 Mon 17-Feb-14 21:47:34

My dd age 3 has exactly this at the moment. Think it's an especially evil virus.

Normantheseagull Mon 17-Feb-14 22:03:01

paloma sorry to hear that - apparently lots of the other children at nursery are ill - perhaps they all have the same thing (haven't been since last Tuesday - she's missing it!)

Hope your dd gets better soon

Paloma12 Mon 17-Feb-14 22:21:28

Same to you, Norman, hope your dd gets well soon. It's pretty scary when they get so hot, but I think it's common (caveat, am NOT medically qualified, am just going on instinct with my dd who is, like yours, well in other ways). I always find feb/march the worst time for illness in our family.

LatinForTelly Mon 17-Feb-14 23:44:35

Gosh, yes, it could be night terrors (although I also think you should go back to your gp if you're worried to rule anything else out).

My DD had them for a while, and she was always soaked through when she had them. They are typically in the first two to three hours of sleep, and no, she wouldn't tell you about them. They don't remember anything about them, either immediately afterwards or the next day. This is one of the ways in which they are completely different to nightmares.

I hope she feels better and is more settled soon.

Normantheseagull Tue 18-Feb-14 11:57:38

I'm going to have to investigate night terrors - perhaps it's just coincidence that she's ill with a cough and has started the sweating at the same time.

Latin did your DD do the high pitched squeal/ call Mummy when she was soaked through?

LatinForTelly Tue 18-Feb-14 13:20:26

No, not high pitched squeal - she thrashed and shouted and generally looked like something out of the exorcist shock . It was quite distressing at first, until we knew she didn't remember any of it.

They happened over a time when she probably had a lot of anxiety - a sibling with considerable extra medical needs and an upcoming house move, so I could see them perhaps coinciding with an illness.

But, I would definitely get her checked by a GP in case it is something to do with her illness. I think the night terrors might be worth investigating if other things have been ruled out.

I read a very good description of night terrors v nightmares in a book I was lent once. I'll see if I can search for it.

LatinForTelly Tue 18-Feb-14 13:39:31

this is the best description I found

It isn't from the book I read - can't find that. But I remember reading about the yawning at the end, and then the next time DD had an episode, watched her yawn and go calm and thought well, bugger me, that's what this is.

Normantheseagull Tue 18-Feb-14 17:22:25

Thanks very much Latin.
I can't see any exorcist signs in her behaviour and she's pretty still (in foetal position) until I gently bring her round.
GP has checked her over and can't see anything other than a very slight red ear, not worth trying antibiotics apparently.

LatinForTelly Thu 20-Feb-14 10:57:07

Oh sorry, it seems I have led you up a bit of a blind alley blush.

I hope you get to the bottom of it, and she is better soon.

Normantheseagull Fri 21-Feb-14 00:28:00

Thanks very much
Seems to be better now - was woken at night but only for an unusual poo in her nappy TMI sorry!
Very relieved and now also better informed about night terrors in case they ever visit us!
Thanks all

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now