Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Has your child had a rash with penicillin?

(12 Posts)
goosey123 Mon 17-Feb-14 20:58:19

I've got a horrible feeling dd (5) might be getting another bout of tonsillitis. So I'm gathering info in case she needs antibiotics!

She last had tonsillitis in November. High temp for 6 days so on day 6 had penicillin. After 3rd dose I noticed a rash. Didn't look like drug allergy rash, more like post viral. But saw Dr who said query penicillin, couldn't say for certain it wasn't. The rash went within 12 hours of stopping penicillin.

Not sure what will happen if she needs it again. She has had amoxycillin and penicillin in past and was fine. Has anyone else had this, what did Dr recommend if needed antibiotics? thanks.

jajawunderbar Mon 17-Feb-14 21:02:00

Dd had itchy rash with penicillin, started at her head and worked its way down to extremities. Rang GP and told to stop using penicillin and to go to OOH for other antibiotics and to be checked as was allergic reaction. It is now flagged up on their consult screen so as she isn't given it again.

jajawunderbar Mon 17-Feb-14 21:03:42

Forgot to say, this wasn't the first time she had been prescribed penicillin, but reactions don't always occur the first time you are exposed, the body may react on a later exposure.

Elderberri Mon 17-Feb-14 23:16:45

Yes, with horrid green poo. Logged as allergic.

phoolani Mon 17-Feb-14 23:22:30

Dd is allergic to penicillin and all the other '-cillin's which apparently is usually the case. She came out in horrendous weals/welts? tho, so not like yours. Doctor has never recommended anything else but always seems to have an alternative antibio to hand when he needs one.

KaFayOLay Tue 18-Feb-14 11:58:19

Mine is allergic to flucloxacillin, rash was like a pin prick heat rash type thing.
She has been given amoxicillin since then and hadn't reacted.
Fluclox is flagged on her records.

Rowgtfc72 Tue 18-Feb-14 12:50:53

Dd looked like the camoflage kid after penicillin. Its now flagged up as an allergy.

BeaWheesht Tue 18-Feb-14 14:15:53

Ds got a blistery rash after amoxycillin, it wasn't the first time he had it. He's now allergic, used to get erthrymycin but can't keep it down so generally gets
Clarithromycin

Buggedoff Tue 18-Feb-14 16:56:34

Dd got a rash with penicillin, which also looked post viral but was logged as an allergy.

I asked for her to be given a test dose when she visited her paediatrian (she has a long term health problem). She didn't react, but is still logged as allergic by the GP and has not been prescribed penicillin. I don't think it's easy to remove from the computer system.

TimeIsAnIllusion Tue 18-Feb-14 17:46:45

My dd got a rash that looked like sunburn with penicillin. It was allergy to penicillin.

pepperrabbit Tue 18-Feb-14 17:53:56

I have a penicillin allergy that started like that, apparently I used to have it all the time for various ear/chest infections then it triggered suddenly, so even frequent previous exposure seems not to have been an indicator.
I was maybe 5/6 at the time, the last time I had it I have a distinct memory of not being able to stand up.
I mainly have "..mycin" abx if I need them now.

goosey123 Tue 18-Feb-14 20:13:32

Thanks for replies. I think I'm worried gp would suggest penicillin as not convinced about rash, not sure if out of hours gp documented it and I'm worried about a more severe reaction. Reassuring to read that most doctors have avoided penicillin after rash. Hopefully we're not needing it yet anyway, but good to read others experiences.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now