Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

11yr old DS has really bad dandruff - more like cradle cap - any suggestions?

(5 Posts)
insularbabygroup Mon 17-Feb-14 18:41:26

11 yr old has terrible dandruff in really big flakes more like cradle cap ( which he had for ages as a baby). This has been going on for about a year - will get slightly better and then flare up again. Have tried usual off the shelf shampoos (H and S, T Gel etc) and also prescription shampoo (Ketoconazole 2% called Ketopine) Nothing is working and he feels awful about it.
Does anyone have any experience of this and any ideas that would help to get rid of it?

ClockWatchingLady Mon 17-Feb-14 18:48:49

DS (7) has this, too. His "cradle cap" never really cleared up, andgets worse again in the winter. I've also tried the things you have, and the only 2 things which have worked for us are 1) regular application of olive oil to the scalp, then combing through, to remove the flakes (followed by thorough shampoo to get rid of the greasy look), and 2) a steroid solution from the doctor for when it's been really bad. It's betnovate (topical corticosteroid, I think) in some kind of alcohol. It stings a bit,and smells solventy, but clears it up brilliantly (in our case).

Hope you have some luck, and your DS starts to feel better about it.

Axe2grind Mon 17-Feb-14 19:16:55

Two of my children suffered with this. I put vitamin d drops in their milk and gave them fish oil capsules. You could try one or the other (or both). My younger son had dreadful eczema too, which disappeared when he started taking the vitamin d. The olive oil helps to remove the scaliness but it would just come right back.

TheGreatHunt Mon 17-Feb-14 19:19:45

It might be ezcema related which my ds gets. I have to keep his hair short and massage his scalp with my fingers when washing and dry thoroughly. Also keeping his dairy intake to a minimum as it flares up otherwise.

Waltonswatcher1 Mon 17-Feb-14 22:57:23

Are you sure it's not psoriasis ? That can look like cradle cap .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now