Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

5mo - relief for chest infection

(5 Posts)
happyfrogger Mon 17-Feb-14 15:24:46

DS is 5mo. Very dry, sore sounding cough. Worse at night. His chest is a little rattly when he breathes.

Chemist said there is nothing I can give him. He has had antibs for a chest infection before and this seems similar.

Otherwise, what else can I do to help comfort him? He's jolly as usual but he clearly is a bit slower/fussier to feed because I'm guessing swallowing could be painful. I'm letting him nap in the buggy as it seems to cause less coughing than when he is flat.

Any other ideas to soothe him?

Sirzy Mon 17-Feb-14 16:21:45

I would be going to the GP not the pharmasict TBH.

Pharmacists are fantastic but I am guessing he didn't listen to his chest, or take his breathing rate or look at any of the other indcators of possible infection?

Waltonswatcher1 Mon 17-Feb-14 23:00:45

Steam inhalation with oibas oil ,I think the infant one is ok to use but check !
I always steam my dc at the first sign of a sniffle.

surfmama Mon 17-Feb-14 23:27:32

I would use an oil called 4 little 1 as it has no eucalyptus in it. elderberry syrup? homeopathy? if you are open to these things? work for me. I guess you know but watch for high breathing rate...difficulty breathing...limpness get well soon

readyforno2 Mon 17-Feb-14 23:29:59

Try a humidifier in the bedroom at night, will release steam into the air and you can get one that has a reservoir for olbas oil, makes the world of difference to my dc

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now