Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Bronchiolitis

(5 Posts)
Notonthisplanet Mon 17-Feb-14 14:22:04

Hello,

My dd 12 weeks has bronchiolitis and sounds terrible with her cough. Gp says as long as she's feeding fine and no temperature and stomach not sucking under her ribs then she will be fine and she has to fight it herself. Her breathing is wheezy and rattling so just after some reassurance as to how long this will last, thanks.

blouseenthusiast Mon 17-Feb-14 14:26:13

Poor you and poor DD. Just to say keep a very close eye - my (now 11 y/o) son deteriorated v rapidly when he had bronchiolitis and had to be hospitalised. I think all in he had it for maybe 5 days but was a long time ago. Good luck

Winterbluessummersoonish Mon 17-Feb-14 14:30:35

If you are worried you can take her back to GP practice or A & E, mothers instinct and worry should be taken seriously and 'fighting it herself' is a throw a away comment cause there are things to help if needed.

Have two children and both have had many bouts of this and pneumonia - sadly in my experience GP's have not always been that helpful, but local children's A & E amazingly helpful.

bakingaddict Mon 17-Feb-14 14:45:37

Bronchiolitis is usually caused by a virus called respiratory synctial virus or RSV as it's abbreviated and there is no medication you can take to eliminate it. It will pass of it's own accord but often children need to be hospitalised if it causes breathing difficulties similar to an asthma attack and they will get nebulised oxygen. Your GP will have checked your DD's chest sounds and with a lack of temp will have made an assessment based on this. Any signs of obvious breathing difficulties you should go straight to A&E

Notonthisplanet Tue 18-Feb-14 19:41:43

Thankyou for the advice I meant to reply earlier. She seems the same today but yes I am keeping a close eye on her. We are on day five now and the coughing sounds just as bad although she's still feeding ok. Gp said chest sounded quite clear so I guess it is a wait it out, just wish I could relax a bit more.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now