Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Throat infection / very sleepy 10 month old

(9 Posts)
Rico08 Sun 16-Feb-14 14:50:55

DD is 10 months old & on amoxicillin for a throat infection.

She started the ab's on Thursday but yesterday & today she has been very sleepy. She woke at 7ish and went back to sleep at 10:30, she's stirred a couple of times but is still asleep. She's very snotty & it looks like a tooth is on its way. She usually has 1 to 1 and half hours during the day.

Is it normal for baby to be so sleepy on ab's?

BeaWheesht Sun 16-Feb-14 15:01:53

I'd be worried and would get her seen tbh. How was she when she was awke?

PoorOldCat Sun 16-Feb-14 15:01:55

No. Can you wake her?

Don't want to alarm you, but if you can't get her to rouse easily she could be in trouble.

PoorOldCat Sun 16-Feb-14 15:02:30

also how is her temp?

Rico08 Sun 16-Feb-14 15:18:44

Thank you for your replies.

She has been waking up & does wake up when I rose her but has been really tired.

Her skin is normal colour and temp is not raised. Not been sick etc. does have a bad cough though. She's having a drink and something to eat & seems ok in herself. (She's laughing at Dh & DS playing Elefun !)

Rico08 Sun 16-Feb-14 15:32:49

It's just unlike her to sleep so long, we've had a long run of unsettled nights too.

PoorOldCat Sun 16-Feb-14 15:40:55

Sometimes dehydration makes children very sleepy.

If her temp is normal I would just concentrate on keeping her fluid intake up, which will be hard if her throat is hurting.

If she does it again and you feel worried then there's no harm in ringing 111 for advice.

Rico08 Sun 16-Feb-14 15:52:37

Thank you pooroldcat, she's finished her 1st drink & onto the 2nd one. The dehydration does make sense now. We've been trying to get her to drink but she's been off it. I've given her a colder drink & she's much better with that.

Thank you again for your replies

Mammanat222 Sun 16-Feb-14 16:07:52

Kids are like us, sometimes if they are poorly they just want to sleep it off.

If everything else is OK (temp, eating and drinking, having wet nappies, generally OK when awake) then I'd just let little one sleep it off.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now