Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Toddler has had fever for over a week... Worried

(28 Posts)
PeazlyPops Sat 15-Feb-14 18:37:20

DS is 22 months, and has had a fever since last Friday. He had a rash on his torso, but calpol bought the fever down, and apart from a runny nose, he was fine in himself.

On Sunday the rash spread to his neck and face (just around his mouth and nose) so we took him to the GP first thing on Monday. He wasn't eating much, but the gp said its just a viral infection, keep giving him calpol and lots of fluids.

The rash had gone by Tuesday, and he went to nursery thurs and fri. He was ok, but when I collected him on Friday they said he'd been quite clingy for half an hour or so before pick up, and he felt warm but didn't have a temp.

When we got home on fri, his temp was 39.5, so I gave him calpol and took him to the out of hours, who checked him over and said that his glands in his throat are swollen, but it's nothing to worry about, just give calpol.

He's no better today - high temp, off his food etc. I know that two drs have looked at him and said that he's fine, but it just seems like it's been going on too long.

Am I being silly, or am I right to be concerned,?

TeenageMutantNinjaTurtle Sat 15-Feb-14 18:40:59

When my dd had a temp for over 10 days we were referred by GP to hospital for more tests. She turned out to have a upper respiratory tract infection which cleared up after a course of antibiotics. They took swabs from everywhere and we had to do a urine sample etc then they waited 2 days to see what bacteria grew then prescribed antibiotics.

I had to take her to the GP a couple of times to get the referral.... And it was the GP that said they don't like young children to have an unexplained temp for so long...

Willthisworknow Sat 15-Feb-14 18:55:44

Mine is on day 7 of fever. 18 month old with heavy cold. Drs said had clear ears and chest. Was worried about her puffiness so checked urine - all clear. Still has a temp and v heavy eyes - in fact one is swollen so back to drs on Monday methinks. She's still v snotty but bright during the dat. Not q now it's getting late and she's tired.

PeazlyPops Sun 16-Feb-14 09:33:05

I think I'll go to the gp tomorrow. It's day 10 of the fever, and I'm really worried that it must be caused by something, his body obviously isn't dealing with it, so hopefully the gp will find a cause.

32notout Sun 16-Feb-14 09:37:12

How are his eyes - are they red or sore at all? What about his hands and feet?

If he has sore eyes or sore hands/feet I would take him back to the GP and ask that they check him for Kawasaki Disease (not very common but can be a cause of a prolonged high fever & rash & conjunctivitis)

Bunbaker Sun 16-Feb-14 09:39:06

10 days is far too long. Take a urine sample and insist on a same day appointment. Our GP always asks for a urine sample when children have a fever with no other obvious symptoms, as untreated UTIs are dangerous.

Hawkmoth Sun 16-Feb-14 09:39:11

What's your OOH service like?

EmilyJane86 Sun 16-Feb-14 09:45:37

Go to a&e ASAP. Children can't tolerated temperatures like we can.

EmilyJane86 Sun 16-Feb-14 09:47:28

He needs blood tests and urine test. Have you rang nhs direct? Has he had bloods done yet?

PeazlyPops Sun 16-Feb-14 11:25:25

Yes I rang NHS direct on Friday, they sent me to out of hours who said its nothing to worry about.

No he doesn't have sore eyes or hands and feet, the Bly symptoms is a fever and runny nose.

I don't think A&E is appropriate, he's not showing any other symptoms, so I dont think it's an emergency.

PeazlyPops Mon 17-Feb-14 08:40:02

Woke up with a temp of 42, and no appointments at the GP until this afternoon, so we're taking him to A&E.

PeazlyPops Mon 17-Feb-14 13:38:16

They said its just a viral infection and gave us antibiotics. I feel fobbed off, as they didn't do any tests apart from weighed him, took his temp, looked in his ears and throat.

Would you be happy with the antibiotics?

sunnyfriday Mon 17-Feb-14 13:53:35

why do they give antibiotics if it is viral and nothing bacterial?

not sure if I would feel fobbed off though. Hope your DS is better soon.

Bunbaker Mon 17-Feb-14 15:44:51

Did they test his urine? If they didn't they have been very negligent.

chocnomore Mon 17-Feb-14 16:09:12

second bun - have taken my dds a couple of times to hospital and a urin test was always done.

Hawkmoth Mon 17-Feb-14 18:49:45

Eh? Antibiotics don't do anything for viral infections...

But they might help if its actually a bacterial infection. How's his temperature now? Try to get in at GP tomorrow. And take a sample.

PeazlyPops Mon 17-Feb-14 19:07:08

His temp is still coming down with calpol, but I'm not happy that we didn't get seen by a paediatrician, they took us to the on-site gp instead.

I feel as though my instincts are telling me that there is something wrong, but he perks right up as soon as we are In front of any medical professionals!

I gave him his first dose of the antibiotics, he bought them straight back up, so hopefully tonight's dose will stay down. If no improvement tomorrow I'm going back to A&E and asking to see a paediatrician, and have some proper tests done.

Bunbaker Mon 17-Feb-14 19:10:43

Did they take a urine sample?

Sorry to be so repetitive, but DD used to get urine infections and they do present like this. Any doctor worth their salt will insist on a urine sample, because they are a) Easily treated b) Have serious implications if not.

I agree with Hawkmoth get a GP appointment tomorrow and take a urine sample.

PeazlyPops Mon 17-Feb-14 19:16:16

No they didn't take a urine sample, they were very dismissive, I was made to feel like I was making the whole thing up.

I'll sit him on his potty in the morning and try and get a sample.

Bunbaker Mon 17-Feb-14 19:25:54

I am horrified and disappointed that they didn't take a sample. One GP at our practice did this with DD and the next GP sent her to hospital with a suspected UTI, which did indeed have and spent a day or two in hospital.

I think the second doctor must have had a word with the first one because he never dared be dismissive of DD again. He also said to me that they can't rule out a UTI unless they test for it. I understood from that that he was angry with the first doctor.

LoveSewingBee Mon 17-Feb-14 20:54:43

A temperature of 42 is dangerously high.

I would give nurofen to bring it down as it usually works quicker than paracetamol based products. If it doesn't come down to 40 I would give paracetamol as well.

Have they ruled out pneumonia?

Can you go private? If close to London you can try the Portland Hospital or you can check your closest NHS hospital and ask whether any of the paediatricians accepts private patients.

Very strange of yur local hospital to say that it is viral and then prescribe anti-biotics, which anti-biotics did they prescribe?

FoodieToo Mon 17-Feb-14 22:33:47

I don't think a viral infection would cause a temp for that long. At this stage I would really assume it was bacterial.

Ds2 had a temp for 3 weeks last year. Doc,who I visited four times,kept telling me it was a virus.

Ended up in A and E . Very serious pneumonia with an empyema,requiring a 2 week stay in hospital with a chest drain!!

If the antibiotics do not kill the temp within a day or so I would be going back to a and e. Best of luck.

surfmama Mon 17-Feb-14 23:31:08

they should do bloods also. hope you get well soon

EmilyJane86 Tue 18-Feb-14 16:19:41

Hope your baby is better soon. I'm so shocked they did not do bloods. I'm a nurse myself and although I only treat adults I'm pretty sure bloods should be taken just as a precaution

PeazlyPops Tue 18-Feb-14 22:13:36

Foodie that sounds frightening, glad everything is ok now.

DS is much better, touch wood. He's having amoxicillin 3 times a day, and his temp is now normal, he's eating well etc.

Just keeping an eye on his temp just incase, but as its been normal all day, he hasn't had any calpol today, as I want to make sure the temp has gone, and isn't being masked by calpol! It's been such a worry, so I'm very relieved to see signs of improvement.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now