Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

14 month old drank curdled milk

(22 Posts)
juliacharles2013 Sat 15-Feb-14 18:15:59

I was just giving my son his usual bottle before bed (cows milk which we hear slightly). He got about half way through the bottle when I noticed a large lump in the bottom of the bottle & the milk had separated. It didn't smell funny so should I be worried about him? Do you think he'll be okay? Should I give him calpol just in case? (I'm a 1st time mummy so I have no idea)

juliacharles2013 Sat 15-Feb-14 18:20:49

We stopped as soon as we realised there was a lump but he'd drunk almost half

MostlyMama Sat 15-Feb-14 18:21:40

He will proably be sick but overall I think he will live.

juliacharles2013 Sat 15-Feb-14 18:24:51

Thanks MostlyMama!! He's not been sick yet, would it be fairly instant or should I keep an extra eye on him just in case?

BIWI Sat 15-Feb-14 18:25:59

Why would you need to give Calpol?! All that he has done has drink some milk that has gone sour. Sort of like yoghurt really!

juliacharles2013 Sat 15-Feb-14 18:27:35

I wasn't sure if it would make him sick? If it does, should I give him some calpol (I worded my first post badly but I was trying to sort hubby & son out while typing)

yellowsnownoteatwillyou Sat 15-Feb-14 18:29:06

Calpol is just liquid paracetamol, would you take paracetamol of you had drank off milk? No.
It's a wait and see what happens I'm afraid.

juliacharles2013 Sat 15-Feb-14 18:36:29

I was just wondering what would be best to give him if he was sick. I know that calpol is "just paracetamol".

Ok, I know I worded my earlier posts a bit badly but I wasn't expecting snide comments. It's the first time I've seen the milk curdle in his bottle like that & as a first time Mum whose never dealt with that situation before I was concerned in case it made him ill.

juliacharles2013 Sat 15-Feb-14 18:37:58

I don't think I'll bother asking advice on here in future

PatriciaHolm Sat 15-Feb-14 18:39:16

Worst that will happen is he'll be sick quite quickly. Probably won't happen.
Either way, painkillers not required.

ClockWatchingLady Sat 15-Feb-14 18:42:10

Hi Julia. Both mine drank v off milk at some point when toddlers <bad mummy icon>. Both were absolutely fine. Try not to worry smile

LottieJenkins Sat 15-Feb-14 18:44:36

Poor OP! People are being quite unkind to you! Keep an eye on your son.

Lifeisaboxofchocs Sat 15-Feb-14 18:45:03

julia, relax! No one is being nasty.

Calpol would do nothing. Calpol would be useful if your child had a fever or was in pain. Vomiting? No.

If he vomits, just cuddles and water.

Proudmummytodc2 Sat 15-Feb-14 18:45:06

He could be sick or he might not it's a case of waiting original poster if he appears to be unwell after it e.g. Sickness, temperature due to sickness if you feel he beds calpol give him some your his mummy you know him best if he just isn't quiet himself you can get robust responses on here you should just post if you need advice don't let it put you off but you know your son best but he should bd fine don't worry smile

PollyCazaletWannabe Sat 15-Feb-14 18:45:20

Not meaning to be unpleasant- I mean this kindly- but paracetamol is a pain killer and/or reduces fever. There would be no need for it even if he were to be sick.
Don't worry OP- he will be fine, but don't give calpol!

Proudmummytodc2 Sat 15-Feb-14 18:45:37

Be*

yellowsnownoteatwillyou Sat 15-Feb-14 18:46:59

The reason I stated what calpol is, is that some people give it to kids all the time as if its some magic baby medicine, and don't know what it is.
If I was you thou, I would have extra pjs and clean bedding on stand by, and hope for the best. If he is sick, sips of water and back to bed.

battyralphie Sat 15-Feb-14 18:49:06

Do not worry! he will probably not even be sick. To my shame I have to admit that my children have done the same thing fairy often. No one vomitted, no one was even a little unwell. As for Calpol : what Polly said.

BIWI Sat 15-Feb-14 18:49:45

I wasn't being snide, although I'm sorry if you thought that. I just wondered what on earth you thought Calpol, which is a painkiller, would do?

dreamofwhitehorses Sat 15-Feb-14 18:50:05

I wouldn't worry too much! Over a year there immune systems are pretty robust. We've been known to put pretty questionable milk in drinks at work when no one can be arsed to go to the shop and we survive (no fridge! )

dreamofwhitehorses Sat 15-Feb-14 18:50:37

their

MildDrPepperAddiction Sat 15-Feb-14 18:52:41

Op I don't think anyone is being snide, just matter of fact replying to questions you did ask in your first post.

Worst come to the worst he will get sick and then will likely be ok.

I think you need to medicate yourself with a cuppa and calm down. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now