Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Hand, foot and mouth but only in the mouth?

(11 Posts)
WhereIsMyHat Fri 14-Feb-14 19:59:05

Does anyone have any ideas what could be spreading around my house? My 1.5 year old was first, high temperature for 2 days and the mouth sores nothing on palms or soles but one blister on the back of one hand. I too him to the doctor who guessed it was just mouth ulcers.

A week later my middle child caught it, same time scale, just blisters in his mouth. Took him to see another doctor who thought it was HFMD despite no involvement of hands and feet.

He went back to nursery today but my eldest was off with the first day of high temperature. My guess is high temp again tomorrow and the mouth sores on Sunday.

It's really miserable and sore, both of the older two have complained of sore throats at the onset. The ulcers are very painful, do they have a weird strain of HFMD or is there something else it could be? Has anyone experienced something similar.

DearTeddyRobinson Fri 14-Feb-14 20:06:12

My DS had HFM but it was only on his hands and bum! Nasty angry watery blisters but it cleared up pretty soon

Countrywalks Fri 14-Feb-14 20:14:47

Yes! My daughter and a few of her friends all had hand foot and mouth but only in their mouths , horrific mouth ulcers. I was quite worried thinking she must be really run down as she at one point had about 9 ulcers which were really really painful. She had no symptoms on hands or feet. I didn't take her to a doctor but another girl was taken and told it is normal only have symptoms on hands , or feet or in mouth. It took about a week to go.

Willdoitinaminute Fri 14-Feb-14 20:39:01

Could be primary herpes simplex this presents with high temp generally feeling unwell and a mouthful of ulcers.

guineapig1 Fri 14-Feb-14 20:50:39

Hand Foot and Mouth can be a nightmare! DS caught it at eight months and the GP told me it can manifest itself in any combination of hand foot or mouth... DS had blisters on his hands and feet but nothing in his mouth as far as we could see. He wouldn't drink anything which panicked me a lot until I realised that he would tolerate the Ella's kitchen fruit pouches ( which have a hight water content) being squeezed into his mouth!!! Anyhow he was right as rain within a week but kindly passed the HFM on to me ( GP had told me this was unheard of!) which made me feel rough as anything for a week and then has caused 5 of my toenails to fall off! Thank god it happened in October so they had time to grow back before flip flop season!

BeaWheesht Sat 15-Feb-14 06:50:44

Ds had similar aged 4, dd didn't catch it luckily. I've never worked out if it was the primary simplex herpes or hfm.

Ds had very high temp (40) for 24/48 hours then about 50 or more very sore ulcers. He was fine apart from te ulcers once the temp went but obviously wouldn't eat and had to be forced to drink / suck ice lollies.

WhereIsMyHat Sat 15-Feb-14 08:04:39

Fantastic, reassuring to hear others have experienced similar and things have been ok.

I'd read about primary HSV too and thought it was that especially when the first DC got it.

I'll stock up of easy eating foods for DS1 and look forward to it going away.

Thanks for sharing as sorry it room he's to reply, mumsnet was broken for me last night.

Willthisworknow Sun 16-Feb-14 18:21:32

I think,mine had this but ulcers only in the mouth. He had a high temp and sore throat. There were lots of ulcers all over the back of his throat and 2 days later, totally gone!

SingMoreWhenYoureWinning Sun 16-Feb-14 23:15:18

Mine both had hand foot & mouth last year, with the only symptom being ulcers in the mouth.

I know it was definitely HFM because a few from ds2's nursery class came down with it and had the blisters on hands, feet and mouth.

Ds2 (3) caught it first. He had a slight temp and was a bit miserable. Then he told me his mouth was hurting. It got gradually worse until he was really crying whenever he ate or drank. He really suffered with it, it was not nice for him.

Ds1 on the other hand (5 at the time)...he was fine, but after ds2 had been off for a day I thought i'd have a quick check in ds1's mouth...and it was full of blisters! I was so shocked, he'd not complained at all, had no other symptoms like a temperature or anything. I asked him if his mouth was hurting and he said 'A bit I suppose...um not really' lol.

I kept him off school for a few days too, which he was very cross about. BUT it made me wonder just how many kids have HFM and you never even know. Had ds2 not had it with obvious symptoms, I never would have checked ds1 and HFM would have come and gone for him without me ever realising.

breatheslowly Sun 16-Feb-14 23:23:50

My DD had HFM with a very sore mouth and one lone spot on a foot. She caught it from a child who had been diagnosed with "chicken pox" by a GP but only had "chicken pox" on her hands, feet and mouth. The other mother was particularly pissed off when her daughter went on to actually get chicken pox about 2 weeks after recovering from HFM. I think that my DD also infected her room at nursery with HFM. We did follow the exclusion period, but it must have been too late.

LittleOne76 Sat 22-Feb-14 12:00:00

Ds1 had HFM almost a year ago when he was 18 months and passed it on to me. He only had blisters on his hands feet and knees and didn't seem to have any in his mouth. I got the blisters on my hands feet and mouth and it was so uncomfortable. We both lost fingernails and toenails a few weeks after getting over the initial sickness. Gross but At least it was painless... Hope your little ones feel better soon. You will need a rest...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now