Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Growing pains??

(18 Posts)
overthehill74 Thu 13-Feb-14 23:19:22

My 6 year old DD had just woke up, really crying her heart out, and shaking her legs. Finally got it out of her that her legs were sore, she pointed to her calf and round the front too. Does this sound like growing pains? I gave her nurofen and she's settled now. Poor wee soul sad

Middleagedmotheroftwo Thu 13-Feb-14 23:21:09

Are growing pains really an actual thing? I didn't think they really exist.

frugalfuzzpig Thu 13-Feb-14 23:21:48

I posted a similar thread recently! DD (also 6) has had this for a while.

It got spectacularly bad recently when she had a flu type bug - lots of people I know have had this recently so it could be that.

Or could it have been cramp?

AShowerOfBastards Thu 13-Feb-14 23:24:18

middleagedmother don't you remember ever having them? They definitely exist and they are really quite painful!

OP growing pains for me were a really intense ache, usually in my lower legs so around the calf/shin area. It hurt. Gentle rubbing or warms baths used to help.

overthehill74 Thu 13-Feb-14 23:26:52

Thanks for replies. I've been googling like mad, I know I know, wrong thing to do! Will keep an eye on her and see how she is in the morning.

overthehill74 Thu 13-Feb-14 23:29:05

Funny AShower, she said rubbing them helped. I don't often see her so upset, and to see her this way I know it must have been very painful. Thank you

Madlizzy Thu 13-Feb-14 23:39:13

My dd used to get them a lot, and ibuprofen and rubbing the definitely helped.

AShowerOfBastards Thu 13-Feb-14 23:58:51

My DM used to sit on my bed and rub my lower leg when I got upset/bothered by the pains. She always used to say I was going to end up 6ft tall with all this growing. I'm only just 5'6 though so all that for nothing! grin

Hope your DD is feeling more comfortable soon smile

Middleagedmotheroftwo Fri 14-Feb-14 00:12:33

Nope. Never had them, and neither have DDs. Nor has anyone I know, as far as I know.
You learn something new everyday - I thought they were an old wives' tale.

overthehill74 Fri 14-Feb-14 07:31:50

Thanks everyone. DD seems ok this morning, doesn't even really remember being up bless her. At least I can be prepared now for it happening again it just scared me a bit when she was so upset. Time for a brew to wake myself up!

Raeray Fri 14-Feb-14 11:04:29

I read something recently that linked growing pains to low vitamin d - not sure if your little one has a supplement? But thought that was quite interesting!

Madlizzy Fri 14-Feb-14 14:10:48

www.nhs.uk/conditions/growing-pains/Pages/Introduction.aspx

overthehill74 Mon 17-Feb-14 20:52:34

Thanks Raeray and Madlizzy. She hadn't been as bad since but is still sometimes complaining of pain. Very interesting re vitamin D. smile

Bedsheets4knickers Mon 17-Feb-14 22:54:17

Growing pains are very much real, I remember them clearly myself!!

CoconutJellyBean Tue 18-Feb-14 03:08:19

My nearly 9 year old gets these very often and I give her calpol, warm wheat bag and hot water bottle on her leg helps smile

Sillybillybob Fri 21-Feb-14 16:10:19

I'm sure it's just growing pains, but if she struggles to walk for a while or has any unexplained bruising etc etc make sure you take her to a Doctor.

Glad she's feeling better today. I had growing pains as a teenager. They suck!

PolterGoose Fri 21-Feb-14 18:17:05

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

incywincyspideragain Fri 21-Feb-14 18:30:27

My ds ( 7) gets them, he is hyper mobile so it could be general muscle/joint pain, Warm Epsom salt baths before bed really help - couple of cups of salt in bath and let them soak for 20mins or so

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: