Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Dd7 ingrowing toenail

(6 Posts)
Dosey Thu 13-Feb-14 21:53:34

That's just it really. She's been complaining for days that her toe hurts and it has looked ok to me. Today however its red and puffy and has a little swelling in the corner.

I had this as a teenager and remember the pain all too well. I had to go through a painful procedure of having it cut out. I just don't want her to have to go through this.

I was just wondering if anybody else's los had this. I have only ever heard of teenagers and adults getting them.

Funnyfoot Thu 13-Feb-14 22:54:53

You need to visit the GP I am afraid. The red puffiness is a sure sign of infection and if not treated will become more painful and could cause problems with the nail and how it grows in the future.

In the mean time put some antiseptic on it and cover with a plaster. It won't ease the discomfort but it will hopefully work on the infection.

Lonecatwithkitten Thu 13-Feb-14 22:56:12

I have them and DD does. On our GP's instructions I soak in the bath and then lift the nail corner and put tiny cotton wool stent under to lift nail edge of toe. Works everytime.

Dosey Fri 14-Feb-14 08:22:49

Thank you. I am going to make an appointment today.

isitreallynearlychristmas Sat 15-Feb-14 08:24:03

My son had one and my gp suggested we jyst get a sharp metal file , lift the nail a little at the corner and try and file away, mmm bet tgat wouldn't have been painful. What I did do was soak his foot twice a day in warm salty water, use a cotton bud then to gently push the skin away from the nail, then put antiseptic cream on.it did work after a few days, when I had one a few weeks before him I had been to the podiatrist who cut out a tiny piece of nail which is very painful- I didn't think they would do this with a child which is why I went to see the useless gp!

Dosey Sat 15-Feb-14 15:45:22

Thank you for the replies. It turned out to be a whitlow which the doctor popped and squeezed. Dd was a brave little thing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now