Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Extra tooth? Any experience

(18 Posts)
BeaWheesht Thu 13-Feb-14 21:35:41

Ds has a tooth coming through side on between his two top front teeth.

Has anyone any experience of this? Dentist said he will need a GA for removal.

Edenviolet Thu 13-Feb-14 21:38:43

Ds1 has an extra big front tooth (upper) and his molars have six points rather than four they look like they have an extra half a tooth attached to each one.

He is 7 now, not lost any. Teeth and dentist said not to worry.

BeaWheesht Thu 13-Feb-14 21:40:38

His his extra front tooth coming in 'normally' though? Ds is 7 too and his is coming in side ways like | if you imagine the middle line is the side of the extra tooth between the two normal ones iyswim?

BeaWheesht Thu 13-Feb-14 21:41:08

_ | _

Edenviolet Thu 13-Feb-14 21:42:37

It is at an angle, we have to floss it as food gets stuck in it. Its much longer too than the other two front teeth so looks odd its not between the front two its next to left one.

WillYouDoTheFandango Thu 13-Feb-14 21:43:12

I had an extra one come through under my tongue so it had to be removed. They did it under ga when I was 4. It was fine, I was eating tinned strawberries and ice cream 2 hours later grin

BeaWheesht Thu 13-Feb-14 21:44:31

Thanks both. Have just talked to my mum and apparently I had an extra tooth removed as a child so it's obviously all my fault! Poor boy just had a GA for an abdominal op sad

Edenviolet Thu 13-Feb-14 21:46:47

Our dentist just said not to worry and that its only problem if there are extra second teeth as well.

Ds does have speech problems though and I'm sure his teeth are not helping.

Pickles79 Thu 13-Feb-14 21:48:18

When my Ds was about five his front teeth got knocked in a game at primary school. This made one of his front milk teeth fall out early. Once it did, a new tooth started to grow that was twisted sideways. The dentist xrayed and said the twisted tooth was an extra as he had his two "normal" front teeth still in his gums. The twisted tooth was removed with local anesthetic without problem (he was so brave, no tears!) and his front teeth then came through normally.

bazingasheldon Thu 13-Feb-14 21:48:31

My son (now 28) had an extra tooth growing on the roof of his mouth and had to have it removed under GA when he was 6. He was fine and has a lovely set of gnashers now.

yummytummy Thu 13-Feb-14 21:49:05

hi just quickly do you know if you have a community dentist locally? he may be able to have the extraction with sedation (gas and air) rather than with ga. how old is he?

AmIatwat Thu 13-Feb-14 22:01:50

My dad has an extra tooth. My friend never lost her two lower incisors ( still ahs bay teeth aged 47) It's common.

BeaWheesht Thu 13-Feb-14 22:08:45

He's just turned 7. He has asthma though if that makes a difference and is quite stressy.

BeaWheesht Thu 13-Feb-14 22:11:00

He's just turned 7. He has asthma though if that makes a difference and is quite stressy.

yummytummy Thu 13-Feb-14 22:12:28

ah i see, does he need inhalers daily? shouldnt make too much of a difference but if he is anxious he may not be able to accept the mask on his nose that well. in which case ga could be better

Cleanthatroomnow Thu 13-Feb-14 22:27:19

My DS had extra tooth removed from roof of mouth with just a local. He was approx 10 yrs old. No mention of a GA, but every case is different I presume. It was done by an oral surgeon, however, not our usual dentist--she referred him on. HTH

BeaWheesht Thu 13-Feb-14 22:51:41

Yes he needs inhalers twice daily.

He handled the mask for going under with a GA but dot know what he'd be like really

isisisis Thu 13-Feb-14 23:33:40

It would be unusual, though not impossible, for a community dentist to have the skill set for this procedure. Whilst a simple procedure, it is delicate if the tooth is not fully erupted & is in close proximity to the other adult teeth & so best left to the max fax team who are experts.
A GA for this would be very light compared to that for abdo surgery. He would probably only be in theatre 30 mins or so & home as soon as he's eaten/drank/ had a wee.
Having it done under LA could be possible but would require a very cooperative child & a tooth that's almost fully through. In this case GA sounds as if it would be the kinder option.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now