Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Process of asthma diagnosis.

(2 Posts)
crunchyfrog Wed 12-Feb-14 15:45:17

I'm wondering about the way my DS2 is being handled. Any words of wisdom welcomed!

Family history - I have moderate asthma and have had it all my life. Several hospitalisations etc.
DS1 has chronic, hard to control asthma, but no admissions yet - just a long term annoying set of symptoms. He had a history of bronchiolitis > chest infections > croup > chronic cough, then finally an asthma DX at 7 years.

DS2 is 5. He has had bronchiolitis > pneumonia > chronic croup-like cough.

Today he has been given Ventolin, 2 puffs 4 times a day. He has wheeze and crackles. No fever, so no antibiotics. No preventer.

I know they don't like to DX young, but surely it would be wise to start on a preventer now?

WDYT? I've convinced myself he's also asthmatic. Anyone had experiences like this that haven't become asthma?

Sirzy Wed 12-Feb-14 16:10:08

They can diagnose it at any age they just don't like to as often it is 'just' a viral wheeze.

It seems to be pretty normal process to start with ventolin then progress it if needed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now