Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Do we go to doctors? Diarrhoea, sore tummy, smelly guffs and now nappy rash for 4 days...

(6 Posts)
adagio Tue 11-Feb-14 21:10:07

My DD is almost 14 months old. Last week we had our first settling in sessions at nursery, and I think she probably picked a bug up (I appreciate this happens at nursery). She started to have a dodgy tummy on Saturday; by Sunday it was full on liquid diarrhoea (sorry if TMI!) and has continued since then.

Every feed/meal results in screaming discomfort and you can feel the bubbles in her tummy, then she eventually poos, cue lots more screaming as her bum is so sore sad

I have switched to cotton wool and water, am using Metanium. Is there anything else I can do? It looks like an open sore round her bum hole.

She also added projectile vom to the mix after her milk this morning, all over the bed (she is breastfed and I had stupidly bought her into our bed for it). We haven't had vom since.

Other than the obvious, she is still reasonably perky, wants to eat both boob and real food, bubbling around playing etc.

She seems to have more sore bits of eczema than usual which I guess is to do with being run down? You can also see her ribs, which you couldn't last week (lost some baby chub I guess). She doesn't seem to be dehydrated though.

Is it overkill to take her to the docs tomorrow? I don't want to waste their time (and mine) spending hours sat in the waiting room, probably sharing the bug around if this is 'normal' for baby tummy bugs, but this is the first one she has had so I have no idea what the protocol is.

TIA

fanjoforthemammaries7850 Tue 11-Feb-14 21:11:41

If she is eating drinking and not dehydrated I would probably just keep an eye on her as there is not much they will do except tell you to make sure she has enough fluids.

Pobblewhohasnotoes Wed 12-Feb-14 12:59:19

Is possible with the eczema her bottom could get infected. My DS has eczema too and it can get worse when he's ill. We've had to have anti fungal cream for his nappy rash before.

Have you got dioralyte from the chemist? It'll replace everything she's losing through the diarrhoea and vomiting. Try plain foods, have you heard of the brat diet? Bread, rice apple and bananas. Although potato is included in that too. You can get dioralyte from the GP too.

BeaWheesht Thu 13-Feb-14 21:38:41

I wouldn't for the tummy bug yet but I would call and ask advice re her bottom.

SomewhatSilly Thu 13-Feb-14 21:51:25

She won't need dioralyte if she's happy breastfeeding.

adagio Sat 15-Feb-14 19:00:58

Thanks for the advice, I called up our HV who is based at the doctors surgery. She had a chat with a doc for me and I am using hydrocortisone (already had it in) on the worst bits of eczema, continuing with metanium on the bum but monitoring it, and have taken a poo sample in to be checked.

Thanks Pobble I hadn't heard of BRAT but on offering apple she seemed delighted to have a gnaw on it, also happy with bread, but less success with rice as she hates being fed and needs to be in a patient mood to transport it to her mouth without help.

She is also having lots of boob which is slightly annoying as we were doing so well at reducing her boob dependency (ready for nursery) and I suspect I have just reinvigorated it. Oh well.

Thanks again all

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now